Wireless issues in Mint (USB)

Home Forums Linux Wireless issues in Mint (USB)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  arpitkakkar1 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Slammer
    Participant

I have completely migrated to Linux and have fallen in love with this OS. Admittedly, I do experience issues from time to time but the overall experience is very good to excellent! I too had issues at first with the install not picking up USB wireless. In fact, you may have limited success even if you go drilling deep down into the various ‘fixes’. The catch 22 is that you need to get online to fix your offline machine. Lower end Laptops use internal USB interfaces to connect via wireless and or Bluetooth… so even the standard work arounds simply may not work. My recommendation is simple. If possible, buy a wireless set up that plugs into the standard network port if you have one. It’s inexpensive and usually works a miracle. On my older desktop I was able to overcome the USB wireless issue by Googling ‘wireless PC card Linux’. I was able to buy a new Linux compatible card for $16.00 total. I popped it in and never looked back. Mint found it immediately and its been just fine. As a side bar, at first I did have some stability issues. At some point you might have to tweak and participate a little, but it beats Windows by a mile. As far as dependability, every update seems to stabilize things just a little more… Good stuff.

• This topic was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by  Slammer.

Christian
    Participant

The laptops I own have a wired connection too so I use that to install the firmware package for the wifi.

I built a desktop for my Dad last fall and put Mint on it. I also took his old Windows XP computer and converted it into a virtual machine on Mint so he has access to his old programs.

HotDawg
    Participant

If you are going to buy any wifi add-on, whether a USB device, or a plug-in card, for Linux, by all means research whether they will work with Linux first.

Some manufacturers are paranoid about people stealing their design ideas, and don’t release any driver information. Or, they may release a compiled driver that will work with only certain distributions of Linux. And, with some devices, there may be major hardware changes from one version to the next that can keep them from being usable for Linux.

And, if you are accessing a wifi network with any encryption (and you should be!), setting the connection up may be interesting. There are a couple of GUI-based utilities that make that relative easy, but if you are going to be running without a GUI, it can be a real education getting a link working.

Where you can, using a wired connection probably is best. I have a Raspberry PI 3 (that has on board wifi) with Ubuntu as the OS. Initially that connection was great — then with one of the Ubuntu upgrades, the wifi driver got broken, and now it throws constant errors about packets out of sequence.

arpitkakkar1
    Participant

I like linux platform because I have work on it in my office and its too good.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.