windows easy transfer

Home Forums Windows windows easy transfer

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Racerbob 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

loveangels
    Participant

I just bought a new laptop, HP Stream and need to transfer some things from my old Toshiba laptop. I used windows easy transfer from my old computer, unchecked the settings so they would not transfer as per an internet article and when I try to install the info onto the new computer, I’m being told I cannot install the settings so it won’t transfer.
    Is there any suggestions to get this done?
    Thanks

HotDawg
    Participant

It’s been a long time since I tried to use the Easy Transfer utility. I found it very unsatisfactory for probably most users. Maybe today it has been made more friendly — but in my case I found it would only copy Microsoft products. Since I was using things like Firefox and Thunderbird, it threw a real snit over those. Actually, for moving those, I found the user profile and copied it over, and that worked out well.

My favorite method of transferring things is to boot up off a Linux hot CD, mount both the source and destination folders, and use rsync to do the move. Doesn’t seem to have many problems with permissions and things like that. But that method really requires the user to have a feel for Linux, and many people have not gotten into that.

I assume you are running as administrator — keeping in mind in Windows there are accounts with administrator privileges, and then a real (hidden) administrator account that will sometimes get around permission problems.

Afraid I haven’t really solved your problem. Maybe someone else will jump in here with some better suggestions.

Racerbob
    Participant

My favorite ? I utilize my external hard drives. 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.