Who reads these?

Home Forums Fun Stuff Who reads these?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Christian 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

HotDawg
    Participant

One rather well know company runs at time a contest for people to participate in. In submitting an entry, the user certifies they have read the rules. Deep inside several pages is this:

“By submitting an Entry, you hereby grant Sponsor, its
    licensees, distributor, agents, representatives and other authorized users, a perpetual, exclusive,
    irrevocable, royalty-free, sub-licensable, and transferrable (in whole or in part) license throughout the
    universe under all copyright, trademark, patent, trade secrets, moral and privacy and publicity rights and
    other intellectual property rights you own or control to use, reproduce, transmit, display, exhibit,
    distribute, index, comment on, modify, create derivative works, perform, and otherwise exploit such
    Entry, in whole or in part, in all media formats now known or hereafter devised (including on Sponsor
    sites, on third party websites, on broadcast and cable networks and stations, on broadband and wireless
    platforms, and on physical media) for any and all purposes including entertainment, news, advertising,
    promotional, marketing, publicity, trade or commercial purposes, all without further notice to you, with or
    without attribution, and without the requirement of any permission from or payment to you or to any
    other person or entity.”

Now, while I’m not a lawyer, doesn’t this sound like I’ve given away (even if I don’t win) almost everything I’ve ever owned, or will own?

Christian
    Participant

I don’t generally read them (8,000 words at a busy rental car counter, are you kidding me?) but I’ve skimmed some.

Is that a photo contest? They’re asking for the right to use a copy in the future for any purpose (which they wouldn’t normally have). They could sell copies of your entry (but they’re not preventing you from doing the same). I guess that’s how they’ve deciced to recoup some of the costs of the contest. Also, it’s probably easier to demand this up front, rather than try to negotiate those rights the winners.

HotDawg
    Participant

No, there was no submission of any kind for this — just a very basic entry form asking for name, address, phone number, email address, and date of birth. There would be 5 winners drawn at random, and each would receive an all-expense trip (6 days, 5 nights) for two to China. At the bottom of the entry form, with some very simple information, ended with “For additional terms and conditions, please refer to the Official Rules.”, where the “Official Rules” is a link to 5 pages of stuff.

Since there is no intellectual property involved, I have to assume they are applying this to any that I own. And, I don’t have to be a winner for them to invoke this — simply submit an entry.

Christian
    Participant

Hmm, it’s impossible to say without knowing what the additional terms and conditions are.

HotDawg
    Participant

Well, I copied in what bothered me in my original post. Not sure if I should give a link to the entire 5 page of “Official Rules”.

Christian
    Participant

The rights you’re licensing seem to refer to ‘the entry’, but since it’s just a name & address I can’t see what value that would be, but then I’m not in marketing.

“to use, reproduce, transmit, display, exhibit,
    distribute, index, comment on, modify, create derivative works, perform, and otherwise exploit such Entry

But it’s possible additional terms could change the meaning of the section you posted.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.