Which OS?

Home Forums Macintosh Which OS?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Steve Rea Steve Rea 8 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Ray
    Participant

As I mentioned in a another post, we now have an IMac and it still is running the Yosemite. Apparently it indicates we can upgrade to El Capitan…

Should we? What might not work if we do? We pretty much have the normal stuff/apps but do run the Firefox and Chrome browsers, Go for Gmail app, and LibreOffice and Checkbook Pro

Thanks

Christian
    Participant

If everything is working then I suggest staying with Yosemite until its support period ends. At that point you should definitely upgrade for security reasons.

If you upgrade now, some things could break, features that you depend on could be removed, etc. New features are sure to be added but it’s up to you if those features outweigh the risks (and costs). I couldn’t find any official support policy from Apple but they seem to support each OS X release for about 5 years. Therefore you could probably wait for a couple more releases before upgrading.

Steve Rea
    Steve Rea
    Keymaster

There is a danger in getting too far behind the current OS.
    New programs often are only tested with the current OS. If you get more then 3 or 4 versions behind, it can be harder upgrading.

On the other side, your existing programs may need to be upgraded before they will work with a newer OS.

There is a web site, http://roaringapps.com that has user compatibility reports.

However, going from 10.10 to 10.11 shouldn’t be that big a jump. And, it’s free anyway.

10.12 Sierra is coming out this fall, too.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.