What would you do first if your connection kept unconnecting?

Home Forums Hardware What would you do first if your connection kept unconnecting?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  HotDawg 9 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Rev 2
    Participant

My Time Warner internet connection used to crash a couple of times a week. I bought a new modem and now it crashes once or twice a day. I could call Time Warner, but that would be an experience that I’d rather avoid, especially at a dollar to call and 25 cents a minute to wait. I could return the modem (Netgear CM400) for a replacement. I’d be down for however long that would take. I don’t mean that in the current slang meaning. The modem seems to run hot, which I don’t understand because it doesn’t really seem to have such a complicated job. Maybe the cable is loading the modem too hard, and I don’t know whether this is something that the cable techs can measure.

Anyway, what would an intelligent person (which is not me) do in this situation?

By the way, I’m not on the Rochester system, I’m in Durham NC.

HotDawg
    Participant

I changed to my own modem when those people started charging rent. At that time I picked up a DOCIS 2.0 thing that was cheap, and it works fine. Then I had a chance to buy a DOCIS 3.0, which I figured would be better (at least in the future).

That one worked great for awhile, then started to crash far too often. Surprisingly, the MAC address for the DOCIS 2.0 modem apparently was still in their system , and all I had to was swap back to it. No re-activation required.

It bugged me about the better modem not working, and logged into the modem’s web interface. (In my case that is at 192.168.100.1) And found some of the signal strengths were marginal at best.

My cable feed to the modem was off a 4-way splitter, then into a 2-way splitter I had installed when I had added my own modem (the telephone modem still is being used).

In rearranging the cable feed to the modem to not split it down so many times I was able to get the DOCIS 3.0 modem (that had failed) to run 100% great.

If you are experienced enough to check out the cable feeds, you might look at the configuration and make sure you are giving the modem the best signal you can. The splitters that TWC use are better quality than those that you buy from some of the retailers — so be sure if you added any splitters they are rated for the frequency ranges needed.

At least in the Rochester area, TWC does have an online routine for checking how hardware is running. It may solve your problem. Also, they have an online chat feature where you can get good support, real time, from them. I used the chat to report a minor problem with the cable drop line coming in, and before I got off the chat line, the phone was ringing here where they wanted to schedule a repair (which was completed within 2 hours).

Around here, once a month, they go thru and readjust all the line amplifiers — and at times they will screw up and reduce your signal coming in more than it should be. My guess is the internet modem seems to be the most sensitive to weak signals than the telephone modem or the TV sets.

Check your documentation for the CM400 and see what type of diagnostics it has built in. Then, an internet search will maybe give you some hints whether you have a weak signal situation.

Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

You don’t say what modem you bought – is it one of the ones on the TWC approved list? If not, that could be an issue. Is it DOCSIS 2 or 3?

Assuming it’s a compatible model, first thing I’d do is return it for a replacement.

If that doesn’t fix the problem, then the next thing I’d worry about is the cable lines themselves. Do you have TWC cable TV, too? And does that have problems? That would be a clue that it’s the cable lines.

HotDawg
    Participant

He did mention the modem is a Netgear CM400, and that is listed (at least for the Rochester area) on the approved list for up to 100 Mbs d/l service (which they don’t offer here yet).

Racerbob
    Participant

I have never liked Netgear products. Always great luck with my trusty Motorola/Arris SB6141.

Christian
    Participant

Hey come on, we can’t all afford Cisco!

*stares sadly at his Netgear switch*

My parents also use a Motorola with TWC and haven’t had any problems.

HotDawg
    Participant

Well, I do not agree with Racerbob on Netgear. I have been very happy with them in the past. (Then a firmware update from them did a number on one I was using, and a simple question to them about correcting this was going to require a substantial fee. Bummer!)

The Netgear CM300 looks like a decent modem. Netgear does have some nice troubleshooting information on their web site, and it certainly would be something for the original poster to follow up on before trying to return the unit for replacement.

In my case the first modem I owned was a SB5101U which worked great (it was DOCSIS 2). Then I upgraded to a SB6121 (DOCSIS 3) and the signal strength into it wasn’t good enough — at times — for 100% dependability. I suspect as the modems support faster speeds, signal strength because more critical. Some cable shuffling by me corrected that. But, there should be no problem in getting the ISP to fix any low signal situation.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.