What will happen to computers that are incompatible with Windows 10.

Home Forums Windows What will happen to computers that are incompatible with Windows 10.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  redcliff 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

redcliff
    Participant

This issue may have already been discussed on SB or in the forums. If it has I seemed to have missed it. What will happen to computers that are running Windows 7 currently but their hardware is not Windows 10 ready? My mother’s computer falls into this category. She has the icon for the Windows 10 free upgrade but there is a message that her video card/driver is not compatible with Windows 10.(nvidia GeForce 7025/nvidia NForce 630a). The video is built into the mother board. If we cannot find a driver upgrade, will this computer become useless if MS tries to force the Windows 10 installment through Windows update later this year?

Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

The short answer is, of course, no one knows. It’s likely that the computer will simply not work after the forced upgrade. I’m telling people that the thing to do with older machines is to run a version of Linux. You can’t run Windows on it anymore, so if you can get some life out of it with Linux, that’s better than just tossing the thing out. (or, of course, you can always give it to me…)

Zorin OS seems to be the new hotness for people switching from Windows 7. I haven’t had a chance to use it yet. Linux Mint is a good choice for beginners, too. Elementary is just beautiful. The good news is, you can try as many as you like!

Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

Although, honestly, I’d just dump it all and get a Chromebook. For the non-techies out there, it’s the simplest, most hassle-free device on the market.

redcliff
    Participant

Thanks Nick,

If my 83 year old mother can run Family Tree on a linux box that might be a good option. Would the GXS Control Panel also solve the problem by preventing Windows 10 from downloading. On a side note the “Notify me of follow-up replies via email” does not appear to be working.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.