WGMC Reception

Home Forums The Show Discussion WGMC Reception

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Racerbob 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Racerbob
    Participant

Well this is not exactly a Soundbytes issue, but my wife and myself were at the Lilac Festival this morning and when we left I was unable to pick up WGMC on my car radio. This condition existed all the way down Elmwood Ave. to Rt. 590 north and through the old can of worms. Finally the signal came in around Blossom Rd. I know that WGMC has a stronger signal than what they had years ago, but this issue was a surprise to me.

Annoyed
    Participant

As I recall, FM is basically line of sight. You were in the southeast quadrant of the city, and Greece is in the northwest quadrant of the area, with the city & Cobbs hill between you.

Not surprised that there’s a dead zone there.

Racerbob
    Participant

True, but one would think that driving quite a distance away from the Cobbs Hill area that the signal would eventually get through. This is a very large dead zone. I think that WGMC is pushing 15K on the wattage these days ? Other FM stations do not seem to suffer the same issues. Either way, I listen to the guys via the internet when I am home here in Webster as I do not even have an FM radio near where my computer is. LOL.I also enjoy Jazz 91.1 from Toronto and the internet is the only way to listen to them. I listen to them in the car from around Leroy to the Pa. border or so when I travel to Kentucky to where my son goes to school.

http://www.jazz.fm/player/index.htm#

HotDawg
    Participant

Well, I realize this is an old thread, but in the last month I have traveled the same route that RacerBob mentioned in his original post. I have not had any problem with WGMC.

Maybe the station was having some temporary transmission problems that have been fixed. Possibly there is a difference in the sensitivity of his car radio and mine. Not all radios are the same! And, there might be a difference in the car antenna. My vehicle is a Ford Explorer, and the antenna is a relatively full size mast. Some vehicle use antennas built into the windshield, and they may not give as good results, especially in some directions.

But, as of this week, I did not notice any problem.

Racerbob
    Participant

Thanks for the report HotDawg. I have not traveled that route recently, so I cannot say for myself that the reception issue is better for us. But you are right…it could have been a short lived phenomenon.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.