W10 upgrade

Home Forums Windows W10 upgrade

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  mycque 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

wfcoons
    Participant

I’ve resisted upgrading from W7 to W10, but now MS is starting to insist. I’ve heard horror stories about losing all emails and/or contacts. Should I be concerned, & how can I back up these files? Would that do any good if I did back up as would they work in W10?

HotDawg
    Participant

Well, on the couple of computers that I did upgrade, I rolled back to the original OS, and haven’t been bugged by MS on those. And, so far on the others here I have been able to stand my ground.

But, to answer your question (maybe) — if you are using the Mozilla products for browsing and email (Firefox and Thunderbird), there are a pair of folders you can copy off that will give you all you need.

On your C: drive, migrate to \Users\[your user name]\AppData\Roaming.

There will be a folder for Mozilla, and in that Thunderbird, with Profiles as a sub folder. Look for a folder with a strange string of characters and an extension of .default. Copy that kid off.

Likewise, in the Roaming folder, find the Thunderbird folder, then the Profiles sub folder, and then the ????.default folder.

You should be backing those folders up on a regular basis anyhow, right?

If you aren’t using the Mozilla packages, maybe somebody else here can help you out.

HotDawg
    Participant

In case I screwed that up, maybe this is clearer:
    C:
    ..\Users
    ….\[your user name]
    ……\AppData
    ……..\Roaming
    ……….\Mozilla
    …………\Firefox
    …………..\Profiles
    …………….\???.default
    C:
    ..\Users
    ….\[your user name]
    ……\AppData
    ……..\Roaming
    ……….\Thunderbird
    …………\Profiles
    …………..\???.default

mycque
    Participant

Or you can use Mozback, save to a thumb drive and then restore when you’re done migrating.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  mycque.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.