using Quicken on ubuntu

Home Forums Linux using Quicken on ubuntu

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  smileeb 4 days, 16 hours ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

boxkicker
    Participant

Since having problems with windows 10 I have been using ubuntu. The only thing I have missed is being able to use quicken starter 2016 to track my checking account.I discovered a crossover program that says that once installed I will be able to use my quicken. I have downloaded it but it doesn’t install. There is a blurb that says open a terminal and run sudo dpkg –add-architecture i386
    sudo apt-get update. Can’t figure out how to do that.

Still in a loop on starting windows and have about given up on that.

HotDawg
    Participant

I’m not sure just where you are having the problem. Getting to a terminal window? or running the commands?

Somewhere (depending upon what desktop manager you run) you should have some command to open a terminal. That will essentially give you a window where you can enter commands on a line-by-line basis. It seems to me, that if you hit maybe an ALT-F5, you will get where you can enter a command to run, and maybe at that point giving it terminal will get you into that terminal window.

Another way would be to hit a SHIFT-ALT-F! (or F2 thru maybe F5) and that brings up a terminal window where you have to log in. (You need your username and password for that). And, an ALT-F7 takes you back to the GUI screen.

If you have the synaptics package installed, that (for me) gives a very user-friendly way to add, delete, and massage software from the GUI.

Back to using the SHIFT-ALT-F? method above — you won’t have the mouse available in those screens, while if you bring up a terminal in the GUI you will. For your need right now, that isn’t a big deal.

In a terminal window running man apt-get or man dpkg will give you a lot of information on those commands.

Does this help? Or did I miss what you are stuck on?

HotDawg
    Participant

A couple corrections/updates to what I wrote last night.

I don’t know where I got the idea about the ALT-F5 to bring up a terminal window — today I tried it in several different windows managers and it wasn’t doing anything.

If you right-click on the desktop, you probably will get a drop down menu that may have “terminal” as an option, or a maybe a “run” option. In that case, entering “terminal” will bring up a terminal window.

If you poke thru whatever menu your desktop provides, you may find “terminal”, “term”, “xterm”, or something similar.

If the terminal window you bring up has a font size that is a;most infinitely small, either whack the CTRL++ combo a few times, or maybe at the top there will be something where you can edit the profile.

The package manager I mentioned is “synaptic” — not “synaptics”.

Sorry about sort of not being specific on some of this — but a lot depends upon what desktop manager you are using.

Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

If you’re having problems getting a terminal window in Ubuntu, and you’re using Unity (the default front-end – the one with the boxes down the left side), just:

Click on the Ubuntu Icon located in the upper left corner.

Click on the Ubuntu Icon in the upper left corner. Above the Doc. (Ubuntu Unity)

In the Search box type in terminal

Use the Ubuntu Search Bar to find the application you wish to launch.

Click on the terminal application.

Change to your Downloads directory (usually, just type “cd Downloads” without the quotes), and run your commands.

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

Here’s the instructions that boxkicker was referring to:

https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/linux/linuxtutorial/install#deb

Did you ever get it to work?

If you’re interested in trying other apps similar to Quicken but that are designed for Linux (so you don’t need CrossOver), you might give KMyMoney a try. I use GNUCash but I think KMyMoney is more similar to Quicken.

https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/quantal/kmymoney/

boxkicker
    Participant

installed wine but quicken won’t install. says don’t meet system requirements. will give k my money a look

HotDawg
    Participant

You might give VirtualBox a try. It is awhile since I played with it, but it might be an environment that will do what you want.

From my understanding, while the Ubuntu repository does stock it, generally you are better off downloading it direct from Oracle and ending up with the latest. From what I just saw, version 5.2 is current.

smileeb
    Participant

Maybe this will help, read whole article.

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1024663

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.