Use laptop as slave CD drive?

Home Forums Macintosh Use laptop as slave CD drive?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  DaveT 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

DaveT
    Participant

I have been having problems with Medium Write Errors from my iMac [OS10.6.8]. They are detailed in another Topic. I proposed the following there, but have gotten no responses, perhaps because it is buried in that topic. Any suggestions?

I have an ancient iBook G4 that has been sitting in a closet – I used it as a backup for while. It runs OS 10.3.9 and has iTunes 7. I assume that I cannot copy my current Music folder to that laptop and burn the CD on it – because the current Music Library file is certainly incompatible? Or can I? But what about somehow connecting the laptop to my iMac, telling the iMac to access the laptop CD drive, and burning on the laptop from the iMac? Or at least attempting the burn there?

• This topic was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by  DaveT.
    Christian
    Christian
    Participant
    Steve Rea
    Steve Rea
    Keymaster

You can use File Sharing to copy files between the computers.
    You probably can’t copy the music library for the reasons you mention, but you can copy the music into the library on the other computer.

You can also boot the laptop in Firewire Target Mode, and copy files between them.

I think you can even use the CD drive in target mode, as it should just think it’s a firewire drive.

You can also get a new external USB optical drive. We have a LaCie CD/DVD-RW for $59.

DaveT
    Participant

Steve,
    I appreciate the response.

It isn’t the sharing of the music files that is the problem; it appears I can transfer them just by copying to a flash drive. Most have been imported from CD and are not protected. But, I was hoping to just use the playlist structure from the newer iTunes version and re-create the same CDs that I created in the past, complete with track names, album names, etc. At first glance, it doesn’t look like the old iTunes version does that. But perhaps I should put the songs from a playlist on a flash drive, move those to the old iTunes and see what happens. It would be a pain, but not overwhelming for the half dozen playlists involved.

I will try the Target Mode and see what happens; I am now curious.

I’m just cheap and hoped to avoid buying another drive. Plus, see my comments in the other topic using the link in the post above. I’m not yet convinced it is a hardware problem.

Thanks again.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.