Upgrade to Mavericks – now?

Home Forums Macintosh Upgrade to Mavericks – now?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  DaveT 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

DaveT
    Participant

I’m hoping that Steve will see this and respond.

I am running OS 10.6.8 and really need to move up. Mavericks is a no-brainer since it is free and since my machine and system meet the requirements. But I have read so many negatives about upgrading – Mail problems, upgrade problems, etc., etc.

Should I be concerned about running the upgrade?

I have a Time Machine backup as well as a Super Duper bootable clone. I set up OS 10.6.8 on a separate HD partition to allow me to go back and run a Power PC app using Rosetta if I have to.

Steve Rea
    Steve Rea
    Keymaster

Most of the problems have been corrected with the 10.9.1 update, and 10.9.2 is in developers hands now.

It’s already a good idea to have a backup, just in case, and especially before you do something major like an OS upgrade.

DaveT
    Participant

I realize this forum is “not very active”, but I’m hoping Steve is still lurking here, as I really have to get to Mavericks.

I posted this on the Apple Support site, but appreciate any insight here:
    I have a 500GB hard drive that has 363GB free. There are 2 partitions. One is my working 10.6.8 @ 450GB. The other is a stripped-down copy of 10.6.8 @ 50GB that I intended to keep should I need to run something that requires Rosetta. Then I had the brainstorm: CLEAN INSTALL Mavericks on a new partition [I know how to use Disk Utility to do reduce the 450GB and define a third partition] and leave my working 10.6.8 as is [and delete the copy of 10.6.8 as it would be no longer necessary]. I have both a Time Machine backup and a Super Duper bootable copy of my working 10.6.8.

One of the responses there has only confused me more. I understand it to say that the Mavericks Installer insists on either overwriting Snow Leopard or wants a blank HD. Does that mean I can’t install it to a blank PARTITION? What about overwriting Snow Leopard on my HD as a “normal” upgrade, and then using the Super Duper bootable copy, copy that working 10.6.8 onto a second partition on my HD as the just-in-case-Rosetta version?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.