Trouble Comes in Threes

Home Forums Hardware Trouble Comes in Threes

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Christian Christian 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Christian
    Christian
    Participant

It’s been a tough week so far. Tuesday a disk failed on my file server. Luckily I was able to replace it and rebuild the array without further problems, but the loss of redundancy was uncomfortable. I’m thinking of going with raid 6 in future. Just before that finished, my HTPC’s motherboard wouldn’t recognize its SSD, and turning it off and on again wasn’t working. I finally unplugged it from the wall and waited 20 minutes in case it was overheated. Somehow that fixed it. Now this morning my desktop won’t turn on. When I press the power button the fans spin for a second or two then everything turns back off. This happened to me before and it was the power supply so I guess I’m gonna order a new one of those. I also vacuumed the desktop just before this happened. Maybe I shifted some dust to the wrong location.

HotDawg
    Participant

I recently went thru the same thing with the power-up cycling. Most threads seem to blame this on maybe corrupted files on a HD, but the power-up time before reboot was far too quick for the hard drives to be involved.

I finally traced it down to was a new scanner I had installed. This is a USB connection, and if the scanner is powered up then the computer will not boot successfully. FWIW, the scanner is an Epson V500, and I tried it on several USB ports, both V2.0 and V3.0. The MB is an Intel DP67BA.

This particular MB never has been able boot from a hard drive or thumbdrive on the USB ports, although it is supposed to.

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

That’s crazy, a USB scanner preventing booting. I wonder if the motherboard somehow recognized it as a bootable USB device but then got stuck because it really wasn’t.

It was the power supply. I disconnected all the external connections and all the drives inside so that only the motherboard had power. It still did the same thing. Everyone recommends Antec but the last three power supplies I replaced have been Antec. I know it’s just a coincidence and two of them were cheaper models that came with a case but I decided to try another brand. I went with a SeaSonic S12II 430W. I consider myself lucky as the motherboard probably wouldn’t have been replaceable without also replacing the processor and RAM. Frustrating to think that I paid so much for these parts which aren’t available now because they’re worth so little.

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

Just last night I rebooted my desktop, and after posting but before the grub menu it stopped with a message “not a bootable device”. I tried again after unplugging the USB connection to my Kobo Glo ereader and that fixed it. Not a bootable device, what the heck? Isn’t the whole point of having a boot order that if it finds a non-bootable device it continues to the next? Anyway, very strange. My motherboard can boot from USB, it’s an Intel DP965LT.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.