Time Machine icon missing on desktop

Home Forums Macintosh Time Machine icon missing on desktop

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Steve Rea Steve Rea 4 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

ems
    Participant

On Sept 21, I downloaded a new security update (10.11.6) on my Mac mini (late 2010). On Sept 23, I did a backup to my Time Machine, then shut the Mac down for a weekend vacation. On Monday, I booted up and the Time Machine icon was missing from my desktop. Power and firewire cords were tight (I can hear it running). It was turned “on” in Preferences but said it was not connected. Disk Utility did not show the drive at all. I switched out the firewire with a USB cord and the icon appeared…for 2 seconds. Could this problem be connected to the update? Or is it time for a new Time Machine?

Steve Rea
    Steve Rea
    Keymaster

Just to clarify, Time Machine is the software in the computer that does the backup your your external hard drive.

If the Firewire connection stopped working and you have to use the USB connection, your external hard drive sounds like it’s having a problem with the controller board.

If you have another firewire device, you can use that to be sure the firewire port on the computer is working.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.