The Right video card for Dell 840 server? Confused with card slot info

Home Forums Hardware The Right video card for Dell 840 server? Confused with card slot info

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  mycque 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

mejc3
    Participant

Just bought a refurbished Dell Poweredge 840 Xeon quad server. I am setting it up from a server to a PC. Motherboard Features:
    One (1) PCI Express x8 slot
    One (1) PCI Express x1 slot
    Two (2) 64-bit, 133 MHz PCI-X slots
    One (1) PCI slot

Have 8Gb ram – Windows 7. Put in a sound card taking one of the slots but now I am at a loss for what video/graphics card to put into it.

I purchased a EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1 GB DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 because from what I read that it could take either a PCI or a PCI-e. The EVGA GeForce 8400 GS does not fit.

(I have even printed out the chart showing AGP, PCI and PCI-e.)
    Could someone steer me in the right direction?
    Suggest a good (below 150$) correct video card?

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

I’m not a hardware expert but I’ll give it a shot. The card you got is probably PCI Express 16x. Some 8x slots will accept 16x cards but not all. PCI Express video cards are either 1x or 16x. You probably need a PCI Express 1x card. I’d pick a brand you like and get the cheapest model. PCI is another option. Graphics performance will be worse but it’s a server so does it matter?

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

markdenver
    Participant

I guess there will be a compatibility issue, it is best that you verify your new purchased hardware from where you got it. Check the motherboard initially if the hardware can be applicable to it.

Cheers.
    Mark Denver of http://www.digitekprinting.com/

inetryconydot
    Participant

After the results in Tuesday’s Acela primaries, the presidential chances of Ted Cruz and Bernie Sanders have passed from a forlorn, but still reality-based, “stranger things have happened” hope, to pure fantasyland.
    I can’t think of anything more depressing.

mycque
    Participant

And this has what to do with video cards?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.