Speaking of the Tango

Home Forums The Show Discussion Speaking of the Tango

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Christian Christian 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Rev 2
    Participant

I dig that the Security Tango is all about doing each of the steps in the proper sequence. But the proper sequence in Step Four is different from the proper sequence in Step Five.

Of course, I am curious as to why the difference….

Would anyone wish to share an answer?

Thanks !!

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

Steps 4 & 5 look nearly the same to me. Could you be more explicit about which differences you mean?

I’d like to see some changes to the security tango regarding rootkits. All the recommended anti-malware apps are to be installed on potentially infected operating systems. The problem is that rootkits operate at such a low-level that they can hide themselves from the operating system and therefore also any installed programs. The guys are obviously aware of this since whenever the phrase rootkit comes up they recommend taking the drive out and checking it using another known good operating system. Instead of going through all that trouble, many producers of anti-malware include a bootable CD or USB disk. Using those will bypass the potentially infected operating system, as long as they are downloaded and burned on a non-infected computer.

Rev 2
    Participant

“Nearly the same” means not the same.

Let me repeat, the reason that it’s called the Tango is that the order of steps is supposed to be important. That being the case, the order of the steps ought to be definite.

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

Well, I can’t speak for the guys. What steps do you mean, exactly? I assume you’re talking about the Windows Waltz?

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

Also, I’m still waiting for the BSD Bolero.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.