sound card stopped working

Home Forums Hardware sound card stopped working

Tagged: 

This topic contains 12 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  boxkicker 4 hours, 17 minutes ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

boxkicker
    Participant

Running Win 10 on a Dell Precision 390. I have a creative x-fi audio processor. The speaker icon has a red X and I don’t have any sound. I have run the sound trouble shooter which tells me to restart.I have done this several times and still no sound and the X stays.I have tried reinstalling the driver and that doesn’t help.A few months ago we had a storm and the power went out. When the power came back on the speaker had the red X. I reinstalled the driver that time and it worked. Should I replace the sound card?

HotDawg
    Participant

Seems like replacing the sound card, unless you are sure it is bad, is the most expensive way to go.

I assume you only have the Win 10 as an operating system. Why not d/l one of the many live Linux CDs that are out there, and see if when you use one of those if the sound is working?

Maybe before even doing that, instead of just replacing the drivers, you go into the device mangler and uninstall the sound card. Then reboot, so Windows has a chance to detect the hardware over again, and load the drivers it thinks you need. Far too many things can get twisted out of shape when it comes to drivers.

If you have a CD with the correct drivers, maybe using that would be better than letting Windows supply a driver they think is better, but may not be. They may have supplied an updated driver that isn’t really 100% right.

Sometimes the trouble shooters in Windows do work well. And, in the device mangler, it might give some clues if it showing any type of error condition for the sound device.

boxkicker
    Participant

yes I do have windows 10. It was born with 7 but got the “free” upgrade. I have tried uninstalling the sound card but it didn’t work. That method worked before but not anymore.Don’t have a cd with drivers. Went to the creative website and tried downloading a driver but that didn’t work this time either.

HotDawg
    Participant

This morning I downloaded a Ubuntu DVD. I took the 64 bit version of 16.04.02. When you boot from that, the first option is a “live” environment, where it doesn’t do anything with your hard drive.

In the upper, right corner, there is an icon for sound, and you can click on that and test your sound system. Mine worked. I didn’t have to provide any drivers. YMMV!

That makes an easy way to find out if possibly your sound card is working.

Also, in your favorite search thing, drop in “sound stopped working in win 10” (probably without the quotes) and you will get a lot of ideas on what to try.

When you find the answer, please let us all know how you fixed it! That may help others here that are struggling with the same problem.

boxkicker
    Participant

I booted from the ubuntu disc and the sound worked! But still doesn’t work in windows.

smileeb
    Participant

As the Ubuntu OS showed your sound card is OK.
    Windows on update killed the drivers for sound cards or just
    didn’t add the updates to keep them working.

boxkicker
    Participant

Did a system restore back to a week ago. Sound card is now working. Not sure for how long.Had tried going to creative website to down load a driver. Down loaded wrong one. Not sure which card I have and Dell detect won’t tell me.

HotDawg
    Participant

Great! At least you didn’t spend money on a new sound card, that may, or may not, have worked.

I’m not currently running Win 10 here, but rather Win 7. (I had a problem with the Win 10 where an update killed my ethernet connection. That was real bad news!)

Maybe if you can find System Information on the Win 10, it might tell you what it thinks your sound card is. In Win 7 I would bring up in the START menu ACCESSORIES, then SYSTEM TOOLS, and SYSTEM INFORMATION. Then pick COMPONENTS. Probably Win 10 is different.

Another possible way is to poke around in your BIOS. It might give some indication as to what the sound card hardware is. In my case, in looking at the PCI components, I found my TV card and it gave a identification number of 14F1:5B7A. I dropped that into Google, and got a lot of hits for my exact TV card.

Not trying to push Linux too much, but there, at the command line, a
    ls pci
    will give lots of info about hardware.

Make a note of the audio drivers your system is using now (that work) and that might help the next time Microsoft kills your audio.

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

You can use the Ubuntu disc to find out which sound card you have. Open a terminal and type lspci. You should see output like this:

00:1a.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 02)
    00:1a.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)

My sound device is an Intel 82801H ICH8 HD Audio Controller, revision 2.

The command aplay -l might provide additional information to help you determine the correct driver for your sound card.

(started writing this before I saw HotDawg’s reply, but bbpress was being difficult)

smileeb
    Participant

For you windows user this program will give about everything
    in your box.

Speccy – System Information – Free Download
    Detailed Reporting. Speccy gives you detailed information on every piece of hardware in your computer. Save time trawling through your computer for stats like CPU …
    Search domain http://www.piriform.comhttps://www.piriform.com/speccy

boxkicker
    Participant

Current status. I am back to where I started with the sound card not working. After I did the recovery the advanced system program found that I was behind windows updates. Also flash player stopped working. The player has started working. I am going to try the Speccy next and MAYBE I can get and install the correct driver.

HotDawg
    Participant

Well, you have narrowed things down. Looks like one of the updates is doing something less than good to the sound system.

For Win 10, can you uninstall updates (one at a time)? In previous versions of Windows many updates could be could be uninstalled (but not all). Also, you could “hide” updates so they would not get installed. Not sure how that works in 10 tho, with almighty Microsoft making updates mandatory.

Certainly you can do another system restore back to that previous point where you fixed the problem before. Then, if you can lock out the pending updates, maybe you can find which one is causing the problem.

If it is a driver problem — maybe in device mangler you can roll back the driver.

Remember the sound system has gotten far more complicated than just the driver for the sound card.

And, I assume the sound system isn’t working at all — not just maybe in a particular browser.

boxkicker
    Participant

Probably made matters worse. I tried to rollback to Win 7 which the machine was born with. I downloaded the media tool which gave me a fresh download of win 10. Now the machine is stuck in a loop. It keeps asking for such things as what time zone. It starts to boot.Then goes back to the questions again. I am using ubuntu at the moment. I am using quicken that I guess only works with windows.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.