RE: The constant promotion of Google

Home Forums The Show Discussion RE: The constant promotion of Google

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Racerbob 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Annoyed
    Participant

Welcome to Soundbytes, a wholly owned subsidiary of The Google Empire.
    Nick, I’ve listened to this show for a long time. I enjoy it.

But a little friendly criticism. I am getting more than a bit tired of the constant promotion of Google and it’s products. Anyone who is a newcomer could easily get the impression that it really is a paid subsidiary of Google.

One other concern I have.

Essentially, Google is a data collection and marketing organization. As you have pointed out in regards to other companies, we users are not their customers. As such, they are not to be trusted.

I believe you are doing your audience (many of whom are too novice to have built up a proper level of caution as of yet) a disservice by encouraging trust in this company via the constant plugs for its products.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by  Annoyed. Reason: typo correction

Dan Warren
    Participant

I have to agree with Annoyed. I have given up on trying to get into the show’s google circle. I have tried and the few times I have gotten into it, it was worse than useless. At least when Nick monitored IRC, we could make comments on line that might answer some of the call in questions. Now that is impossible. I’ve listened to the show since the early WXXI days. I find the show has become less relavent to the average user. There is a core of advanced users who used to monitor the IRC channel. Now many of them are gone. Turned off by the clickiness of the show.
    Please make the show more relevant and avail yourselves of the on line community.
    Jusr look at how few people now post on this forum.

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

I don’t know if it’s just Google or the focus on cellular devices in general. Maybe there’s just nothing newsworthy with PCs but not having a cellular device, all the mobile news is irrelevant to me. I still love the show, especially the call-ins, and continue to monitor the IRC for when the Hangouts experiment is finally canceled 🙂

Dan Warren
    Participant

I’m on irc as gizm0_Dan

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

I’m fcrs.

PenPen is a bot. If you want to use it, it’s documented here:
    https://github.com/embolalia/willie/wiki/Commands

For some reason they don’t list the .tell command which was why I wanted it in the first place. You can relay a message to someone who’s not on at the moment. .tell <user> <message>

Racerbob
    Participant

I agree annoyed, and annoyed I am. Google this and Google that.

Also, Sorry to bring this up now, but Nick and the guys seemed to have a total disregard for the old board and the huge number of posts there and very large data base that people could refer to when seeking to solve problems with their machines, etc. We have lost many, many people. And the history of that old board is gone forever ! (a good thing for the current events area) But, where was the backup (they always preach to us about backing up) of the old board and why couldn’t something have been done at the time of the server crash to possibly rebuild that old board ? We have 165 members here. That is all. Sad.

Racerbob
    Participant
    Steve Rea
    Steve Rea
    Keymaster

We have a lot of Apple stories this week, to counter the Google stories last week. Just what ever happens to be in the news during the week. With Google I/O, there was a lot of Google news.

Racerbob
    Participant

So happy that tons of us use Apple products. Not.

Annoyed
    Participant

Have to disagree with you Steve. It’s not a once in a while thing that we see when google makes some sort of noise. It’s week in, week out. Constant google this, google that. Speaking just for myself, I’m quite sick of it.

Racerbob
    Participant

If I could get away from Google I would. I have changed my search box to Bing in my browser and I really prefer the features that Bing presents…such as when you search for videos of some subject matter. I am considering a Windows phone instead of an Android for my next phone…or…gasp, an iPhone. I am not a fan of Google+ either. All of my friends and family prefer Facebook, so it is there I shall stay with all of the privacy I can muster being locked down on it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.