Problem with monitor / resolution

Home Forums Hardware Problem with monitor / resolution

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Bruce 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Bruce
    Participant

Hi: I had to revive an XP desktop with a Samsung flat screen monitor. I do not remember if it used to be this way or not, but most things displayed are too wide. I can see it in people’s faces and various other images.

Also, most things, including text, were a bit fuzzy around the edges. I did fool around with the resolution and a few other settings and got most of the fuzziness out. An odd thing: The slider bar for resolution adjusting would only go extreme left, extreme right, or right in the middle. As I remember on other PCs, it had at least 5 positions.

As far as I can tell there is no way to fix the image width problem with the monitor controls (the centering is okay). So I updated the monitor driver and now the problem is worse than it was, and to make matters even worse I cannot roll back to the previous driver; I guess it automatically deleted it.

And now the resolution slider has only TWO positions, extreme left or extreme right, and neither setting is any good. The text is worse than with the old driver, and some things on Firefox now go off-screen (horizontal scroll bar now appears). It never did that before.

HELP?? 🙁

PS: Is there no way to preview posts on this forum?

Steve Rea
    Steve Rea
    Keymaster

That usually means you haven’t loaded the driver for the video card. The monitor tells the video card what resolutions is supports.

Christian
    Participant

For the wideness problem, I would think that means the computer’s resolution setting doesn’t match the aspect ratio of the monitor. Maybe you can’t find the right setting because the driver’s not installed, like Steve said.

PS: Is there no way to preview posts on this forum?

Nope. You can edit a post after submitting it, but that option seems to disappear if you wait longer than 5 minutes 🙁

Bruce
    Participant

“That usually means you haven’t loaded the driver for the video card. The monitor tells the video card what resolutions is supports.”

Does that mean it isn’t loading on startup? Otherwise, I’m not sure what you mean. I’ve had this PC for several years, although I’ve not run it much, but I think it used to be okay.

Why did installing the latest driver change everything?

What do I do to fix this? 🙁

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.