Poll 4 May 13 – Do you use Google Now?

Home Forums The Poll Discussion Poll 4 May 13 – Do you use Google Now?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Christian Christian 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

Discuss this week’s poll here. Personally, I love Google Now!

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

I use their services which don’t require registration such as the search engine, maps, etc.

I figured the poll was asking more about G+, docs, mail, etc. so I voted no.

Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

Google Now is actually a separate product:

http://www.google.com/now

It does require a Google account.

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

Oh boy, looks like I’m really out of the loop. When I looked back at your first post above I finally noticed that Now was capitalized and it hit me.

It certainly looks Google-ish, i.e. leveraging a vast data-mining operation to craft free services which feed back into the mountain of data. I’m sure it’s a very useful service and all but I value my privacy a little too much to be interested in all this cloudy stuff right now.

Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

All our information is out there whether we like it or not. Just being on the Internet puts a lot more information out there than you or I should be comfortable with. Short of unplugging entirely, I figure I might as well get some benefit out of what Google knows.

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

We have some control over how much info is collected. For example with Google, they can collect my individual queries but it won’t do them much good unless they have a way to link them. They could use my IP address but they won’t because it changes from time to time and I could move locations, etc. They could tie them together using a cookie except I’m blocking cookies from Google and other sites engaged in profiling web users. Actually for most of them I’m blocking the entire site at the DNS level. But I don’t think it has to be all or nothing. I’ve choosen a point on the scale with a comfortable balance between privacy and service. To each his own.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.