Please, DSL vs. Cable ?

Home Forums The Show Discussion Please, DSL vs. Cable ?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Racerbob 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Racerbob
    Participant

Oh my. Where to start. The very best speed Frontier can give me is 6 megs down and I am right around from the DSLAM here in West Webster. I consistently speed test at 32 to 34 megs down on Time Warner any time of day. This test was run just now at 1:51 PM. Let me put it this way…they could give me free Frontier internet and I would tell them no.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by  Racerbob.

HotDawg
    Participant

I keep getting these ads from Frontier telling me Fiberhouse is available in my neighborhood. Sure! The first time I got one I called, and they said I got one the ad by mistake. But they keep coming.

Early on I had DSL. Original d/l speed was 1 meg down. Better than dial-up in a number of ways, but it was when Frontier was trying to figure it out, also. It truly was a learning curve situation for them.

Gradually, I started to see higher speeds, with occasional hits between 6 and 7 meg. Then, suddenly, I was getting a constant 3.0! A call to their sales people said I was paying for 10, and that’s what I should get. They turned my call over to some support creature in Florida that said the 3.0 was exactly what I should see since they had everybody in Rochester provisioned for 3.6 meg.

Their idea was by throttling everyone down, the customers would see higher speeds.

I have been happy with TWC, but they have worked their prices up a tad too much. Waiting for Greenlight to come by here!

It would be good if some of the Greenlight customers posted their experiences here.

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

I did a test the other day. It was actually 30% higher than I’m paying for – 3.9Mbps instead of 3.0 🙂

That seems insane compared to what most have these days, so I’m asking, why should I pay more? I know I could probably pay a bit more for many times the speed, buy why? Probably the most demanding task, video streaming, works fine. Netflix works perfectly. I host websites from my house so if I could get better upload speed (currently 1Mbps) that might be worth paying for.

Racerbob
    Participant

Everybody in Rochester is NOT provisioned for 3.6 Mbps. See how they mislead and lie to you ? Parts of the local Frontier area can get up to 24Mbps download speed. And as I said before, my neighborhood can see up to 6 Mbps down.

For those who wish to get off the Time Warner merry go round, there is always (at least for now) the option of switching to Earthlink cable internet. Delivered to you through the same lines and modem that you presently use for your TW Internet service. Free standing internet service with no TV or phone requirement. 15/1 speed is $41.95 a month after a 6 month intro deal at $29.95 a month. And 20/2 speed is $51.95 a month after a 6 month intro deal at $39.95 a month.

This is a good option for those who have satellite TV services or who get their TV service through other alternatives to cable. I am waiting to see if the Earthlnk service is still left intact after Charter takes over.

Racerbob
    Participant

As a side note, Time Warner kicked their speed up a notch locally over the past couple of days. I was testing consistently around 33 to 34 megs down. Now it is 37 megs down consistently. Other friends locally are seeing this increase also as well as people in other cities such as Albany, NY.

Test

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by  Racerbob.

Racerbob
    Participant

Just ordered Greenlight ! Going to be a while until we get it for sure, but lucky me lives in one of the new Webster areas that Greenlight announce yesterday.

HotDawg
    Participant

When you get it, Bob, by all means keep us posted on how it is. The pros, and the cons. There have to be other users floating around here, and I haven’t seen much on what the users are running into.

Reviews by actual users would be great!

I’m not is the list of neighborhoods they have listed — but am still holding my breath!

Racerbob
    Participant

I will keep you and this forum informed HotDawg. So far I have paid the $10 deposit required and we are working our butts off trying to let our neighbors know about the availability of Greenlight Networks to our neighborhood in this newly formed installation “district”.

I am in the green outlined area on the left side of this map near the Irondequoit Bay.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?usp=sharing&utm_campaign=Webster+July+2015&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Webster+Districts+Order+Email&mid=z3bOz10hThKU.k9UZ0Nd42sJg

I am now debating which speed level to subscribe to. Right now I signed up for 100/20 speed. That requires a $100 installation fee and then it is $50 a month. The 500/50 level is $75 with the same $100 fee for installation. Finally, the 1000/100 level is $100 a month, but there is NO installation charge. So theoretically you could get that level for 2 months (2 months commitment is required) and pay the $200 and then bump back down to one of the other speed levels. Because with the 100/20 level, you are going to be paying $200 for the 2 months anyway including the $100 install fee.

Finally, some other concerns exist re: the router that you may be using. On the Greenlight site they mention that some people with Linksys routers that are supposed to be able to run at gigabit speeds are having problems and that Greenlight does not recommend using a Linksys router at this time. My router is a fairly new Linksys that is supposed to be up to the task, but who knows ? I truthfully do not think that I really need anything more than the 100/20 speed level, but I may initially get the top level speed for two months because the cost would be the same.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.