Now you see it — now you don't

Home Forums The Show Discussion Now you see it — now you don't

Tagged: 

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Christian Christian 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

HotDawg
    Participant

Maybe I’m doing something wrong. If so, please — somebody point me in the right direction.

For the last several months, far too many times when I try to connect to the Soundbytes.org site — I end up with some generic web page saying the web page I am looking for doesn’t exist. Seemed to be that way most of this past week.

Doing a traceroute/tracert doesn’t show any problems there — it appears wherever the site is hosted seems to not know what they should have.

It’s been going on long enough that it really should be fixed by now. And, if it can’t be fixed, is it time to move the site to a different server? Shouldn’t be that difficult to put the whole site up on another server. Maybe almost anyone with a good connection out (like Greenlight) and a spare computer should be able to host it without much problem or expense.

Dan Warren
    Participant

There have been some problems. I’ve been redirected to a construction company several times. Nick knows about the problem

Steve Rea
    Steve Rea
    Keymaster

Clearing your web cache may help the issue.
    I’ve found that http://www.soundbytes.org doesn’t always work, but soundbytes.org does.

HotDawg
    Participant

Steve, I appreciate that the WWW. may point to somewhere else. But, I’m sure that hasn’t been a problem here.

I have cleared the cache. I have used different browsers on the same computer. I have used different computers, and a multitude of operating systems. When it’s bad — it is bad!

Using linux, I’ve used curl to look at the source of the page brought up. I’ve used different DNS servers in case there is some corruption with those.

I haven’t found what my problem is. But, I think this has been bugging me since maybe last October.

Racerbob
    Participant

I have noted the same thing and the Icon for the site in my bookmarks will change to two parallel and diagonal red bars. It hasn’t happened now in a while.

HotDawg
    Participant

Oh, for me it still continues! Last night, maybe just before midnight, I tried to get to the show archives to see if the audio for the day’s show was posted yet. Got the “parallel Panels” page instead.

A while later, the correct web page came up.

Maybe I should start logging when it works, and when it doesn’t. I bet with me doing that, it would always connect like it should.

Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

There were a couple of problems at the hosting site.

HotDawg
    Participant

Well, it’s good to see the web page coming up again. In the past couple, three weeks, it seems it has been down most of the time.

Time to move it to a different hosting site?

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

I’ve noticed it lately too. I often think to post stuff mid-week but can’t because the site is down.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.