Need Laptop buying advice and more

Home Forums Hardware Need Laptop buying advice and more

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  maypo1 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

maypo1
    Participant

My son will be starting his second year of college. Business major. Laptop he had. a 4-5 yr old HP intel dual core 2.4ghz W7 just died. Need to get something that will serve him thru graduation with out breaking the bank. Advice in stores is all over the place,,, I3 is great for that (I3 3110m W8 15.6 750 gb) No he will need a I5 quad…and then they start throwing the AMD’s into the mix…I check the passmark scores on all of the processers. Is 4gb memory enough? A couple of HP’s i have looked at come with 4 but i can add more…None are touch screen… all have at least 500gb HD . I have a $290 deal on a HP 15e021nr- dual core 4 threads.
    Already mine but unopened. Then there is a Refurb HP 17e049m nice A10 5750 .8gb ram-the site says it has a 1yr warranty but i thought refurbs had 90 days. -For $420. I’ve looked at other brands, but this is like buying a mattress. Is a slightly slower quad core with similar passmark scores faster than a dual core with hyper threading? How much computing should he have. I see some still have W7 but i think he should have w8. What about his Office 2010 lic? will he be able to use that on W8?

I tried logging on with a very old username and password- but i needed up creating new.
    I still use the tango though i have not been on here in a few years.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by  maypo1.
    Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

It depends entirely on what he really wants to use it for. If he’s going to do Internet research, spreadsheets, word processing… An I3 w/ 4G and a 250G is fine. If he wants to play high-end games, an I7 with 8G may not be enough. And if he wants to download craploads of illegal music, you can’t afford a hard drive big enough.

What I did for my daughter was, I bought her a machine that fulfilled all her educational needs. Anything else she wanted, she’d have to buy for herself. Your mileage may vary.

maypo1
    Participant

Not for games. College work., internet and Itunes. Office 2010…
    Will the I3 3110m @ 2.4 ghz and 4Gb memory be fast enough…
    The hard drive is big enough he never filled the 320…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.