Mozilla Strikes Again! (Firefox 52 Breaks Sound System)

Home Forums Linux Mozilla Strikes Again! (Firefox 52 Breaks Sound System)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Christian Christian 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #5846
    Christian
    Christian
    Participant

    Just tried watching Youtube and it seemed the sound on my laptop had stopped working. Then I found that the sound was working fine in other programs. Turns out that as of version 52, Firefox will only work with PulseAudio.

    https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1345661

    At least 11 bug reports have been filed. The above one has over 100 comments. Reading it (while enjoying a bowl of popcorn) reminded me of this bug report involving Systemd that we were talking about a few weeks ago. Interestingly Systemd’s developer also made Pulseaudio.

    Firefox is still my primary browser but those folks at Mozilla sure are working hard at narrowing their target audience.

    • This topic was modified 4 months ago by Christian Christian.
    #5882

    RChandra
    Participant

    You know what’s almost worse than systemd‘s commandeering the debug argument? The Ubuntu (maybe Debian) boot scripts used to commandeer that also. All I wanted to do is pass a debug argument to the kernel, and all the sudden I’m getting dumped into a shell instead of completing the boot process.

    Despite all the positive things Poettering has contributed to FOSS, his seeming arrogance at times is astounding to me, as exemplified by his intransigence on the debug kernel option and systemd.

    Overall, PA is pretty good, especially its ability to regulate the level of each application wanting sound. It’ll even boost a source beyond 100%, so something with really low audio can be more audible. It also is helpful for routing sound too, for example to distribute it to several output devices. It’s just really sad to see that something like FF won’t work properly without it. There are a number of solution pages here and there which recommend uninstalling pulseaudio in order to get something to work.

    The problem I have been having with PulseAudio is how it is invoked in Xubuntu sessions (via Upstart). What this means is, if I kill PA, it gets restarted automatically. I needed it gone so that JACK can work, so that Ardour can work. What I ended up doing was something like this in /usr/bin/pulseaudio:

    #!/bin/sh
    sleep 30
    exit

    It’s just weird that I have to go to such lengths to get things to work.

    #5900
    Christian
    Christian
    Participant

    I think the recommended solution is to give direct control of the sound card to JACK, and configure PA to access it through JACK. I recall getting this to work briefly when trying to use Rosegarden. The Arch wiki seems to have some information on this. That might be where I read it… can’t recall.

    Speaking of bug reports and Mozilla, just came across this one from a few years back (I recall reading it before) while setting up Gmail SMTP in Thunderbird. In this case, at least a few Mozilla devs argued for doing the right thing (see Ben Bucksch’s comments), but were overwhelmed by those who wanted to enable Google to keep being evil.

    #5901

    RChandra
    Participant

    Google isn’t necessarily evil, they would just like a way to maintain multifactor auth. Since ordinarily IMAP has no intrinsic way of soliciting the other code, the weaker way of Google issuing an “app password” must be used. I don’t know of any way to restrict what that additional password is allowed to do, but the idea is that OAuth2 only allows specific uses of the obtained token. But I understand their reticence to implement something like that. They don’t want to implement something Google specific (or specific to anyone for that matter), they want to stick to published, widely accepted standards, such as standards track RFCs.

    #6101
    Christian
    Christian
    Participant

    I’m developing a website and I just noticed Google showing listings of my site that include a jsessionid in URL (used to support sessions when cookies are disabled or not available). Came across this thread. Poor guy doesn’t understand that you don’t make suggestions to Google, Google tells the rest of the world how things are gonna be. Looks like I’ll be spending some extra time creating rewrite rules to accommodate the pertinacious design of their web crawler.

    A few weeks ago I switched the browser search engine on all my computers to DuckDuckGo. It’s amazing how much they’ve improved it compared to two years ago when I tried switching before but ended up going back. Especially for programming related searches, it used to be that Google would deliver way more results but now they seem about equal.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.