mini wifi hotspot

Home Forums Hardware mini wifi hotspot

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Christian Christian 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

earltwitty
    Participant

hey geeks I’m hardwired in at home with my pc and I’m thinking of getting a usb wifi hot spot device such as this one
    Mini 3G Wifi Hotspot IEEE 802.11b/g/n 150Mbps Portable USB Wireless Router #F8s
    any recommendations on what to get or stay away from?

foobar
    Participant

As your post doesn’t contain a link to a specific device and you don’t indicate why / what you want to use it for, pretty hard to comment.

earltwitty
    Participant
    Christian
    Christian
    Participant

What’s this for? I’m not familiar with such devices so I can’t really help but I’m just curious. Is it for sharing an existing 3G connection with other computers in the house?

earltwitty
    Participant

It’s for making a wifi hotspot from your pc computer which is hardwired in.

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

Does it need to have 3G in addition to wifi? Otherwise, have you considered a wifi router such as this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004H1PMJC

If you’re not using a router now, it does offer a security benefit compared to having your computer plugged directly into a modem.

Slammer
    Participant

I was hoping to do the same thing in my shop… I use a hard wired router in the office; but was thinking about setting up a WiFi hot spot ‘out back’ by using a wireless router plugged in to my standard LAN router via CAT cable. Why? I would like to use Pandora et.el. via smart phone on our receiver without clobbering Verizon’s unlimited, uh, limited data plan.

I have seen conversations on the net, but no real discussion of being able to set-up security on the WiFi router side of this configuration. We are in a dense area and am sure I’d get ‘tapped’ on the WiFi side with out security. Anyone out there ever do that?

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

You want to know how to setup encryption on a WiFi router? First you need to choose a router, then search for specific instructions on setting that router to use WPA2 for it’s security setting. Usually it’s a simple drop down menu to choose the security mode and then you need to pick a strong password.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.