Migrating from Windows

Home Forums Windows Migrating from Windows

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  RChandra 4 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

HotDawg
    Participant

My default installation here is Windows 7, and it seems to handle things for me reasonably well. But, the push is on more and more by Microsoft to move on. I do have both Win 8.1 and Win 10 here available as optional operating systems, and also Ubuntu in a dual(?) boot arrangement.

I read yesterday where Microsoft is stopping all support for Windows 7 for those with a wide range of CPUs — including the I5, which is what I have. And, I keep running into more strange things that don’t work quite right in Win 10. Example: I do have one drive on an eSATA port. That works great on all the operating systems that I have, except the Windows 10. They say the answer is to update my drivers — but the motherboard manufacturer (Intel) provides no drivers for Windows 10 on my motherboard.

I find that I could survive very nicely with Ubuntu as the OS of choice. (Or, maybe some other Linux OS.) But the question I have is: What do you do when visiting some site that insists that you use IE as a browser?

For those of you that remember the Fast Ferry, you had to (at one time) buy tickets online — and you had to use IE as a browser. No IE — then no ticket!

I have a security camera system I log into at times. That requires an extension to IE (and only IE!).

Those that have moved away from Microsoft: How do you work around this type of problem?

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

What do you do when visiting some site that insists that you use IE as a browser?

A lot has changed since the Fast Ferry was operating. With additional competition from Chrome, and a sharp increase in mobile phone web usage, there must be few if any sites that require IE today. I haven’t used I.E. in a decade or so and I can’t recall the last time I needed it. I run into occasional problems due to blocking ads, trackers and scripts but that’s another conversation.
    Web Usage by Browser
    Usually the IE-only sites still work with other browsers. In those cases you can change the User-Agent which makes the browser report itself as IE.

You could keep a copy of Windows 7 in VirtualBox and use that if you find you suddenly need Windows or IE for something.

RChandra
    Participant

Core i5 is not in and of itself enough information to determine whether your OS will receive Extended Support. What’s important is the generation of i5. The support ends with Skylake (6th generation, the digit in the model/part number after the “i5-“; if you have Skylake or beyond, you’re not supported).

RChandra
    Participant

In general, if a site or device requires a specific Web browser, I move on. Whoever is providing the product or service will “feel” the consequences of their decision. There are some things you can try.

1.) Use the site anyway, and hope there is nothing that truly requires MS.

2.) Use something in your browser (such as an add-on) which fakes the User-Agent: string sent, hoping this is what’s causing the “complaint.” Hopefully the “other end” will serve up enough useable code to work OK.

3.) Try running IE under Wine. (Not sure you can still download IE as a separate installer anymore, or if it’ll complete installation, but I thought I’d mention it.)

4.) Run some copy of Windows in a virtual machine.

I know of one such product which will absolutely not work in anything but MS browsers, and that was (at least some version of) BMC Service Desk Express, and that’s because it use(d) VBScript. (for years, I’ve been out of the company where I used it, not sure it still requires an MS browser of if BMC has seen their way to be more diverse.)

• This reply was modified 4 months, 4 weeks ago by  RChandra. Reason: added mention of, it may not be possible to download the IE installer anymore
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.