Mail on iMac

Home Forums Macintosh Mail on iMac

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Christian 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Ray
    Participant

So, trying to set up our roadrunner email on the iMac in their Mail program/icon

No luck

The address is basically like rfm.@rochester.rr.com

but cannot get it to recognize the email. Managed to fool it to put the POP3 in there, but still will not work and after reading various links, nothing works

In our Thunderbird on our old PC it was pop3@rochester.rr.com and the outgoing was smtp-server@rochester.rr.com

the iMac mail seems to not like this

suggestions?

Ray
    Participant

Ok tried even more

apparently creating the mail and holding the option key allows me to chose pop

but still once I enable, it asks for a password, I enter and it will not recognize anything

trying to research roadrunner email using Yosemite is giving me ideas but nothing works

what I have from the old Thunderbird

incoming is pop3@rochester.rr.com
    outgoing is smtp-server@rochester.rr.com

nothing works

Ray
    Participant

OK ignore my diatribes

I think I have it working now

what a cluster

following some info off TWC seems to work, although in parts one has to use the rochester.rr.com and others twice.com

not sure why this is the way it is, but so far it seems to work

Steve Rea
    Steve Rea
    Keymaster

Generally, you don’t want to use POP any more.
    POP downloads the files to your computer and won’t sync with any other device, like a phone or tablet.
    That means when you delete the message on the computer, you will have to delete the same message on the phone, and delete the same message on the tablet.

IMAP is a better option if you have multiple devices.
    Everything is synced through the server.

For Road Runner, you can use mail.twc.com and the IMAP and SMTP server. That also means you can send mail when you are not connected to the RR service.

Christian
    Participant

I usually setup one device as POP and IMAP for the rest so the POP device will have a permanent copy of all my messages but the other devices will still be able to access mail going back a few months. You can keep a local copy of all messages using IMAP but some mail clients make this easier than others.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.