Looking at new routers

Home Forums Hardware Looking at new routers

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  HotDawg 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Ray
    Participant

So, we are looking to replace our router, with something a bit better…have an old Asus N router, works OK but at times slows down due to bandwidth, or needs resetting, etc…

Was looking and had it down to either Netgear, Linksys or Asus and not sure about the Apple version…daughter has that one, but I have no idea how it works…

then discovered this MU-Mimo thing where allows multiple users etc a lot better….

And then came across this idea – EERO

not sure what this is. Pros or cons?

Advice is greatly appreciated.

Leaning to either Asus or Linksys as I have heard Netgear may or may not be so good anymore?

Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

The reviewers on Amazon mostly seem to like it. It’s a terrific idea; the unknown is the execution.

HotDawg
    Participant

First — when you do make a decision, it would be nice if you would post here what you did and why. Far too many times questions get asked, ideas offered, then nothing . . .

In looking at the EERO, There really isn’t much information that I found. It appears to be oriented toward a WiFi LAN, even tho you could splice in ethernet devices by adding switches. I found no references to a user manual, or anything like that. I would recommend before buying anything (especially this expensive) that you find a copy of the user manual and digest it to see if it will meet your needs.

My preference is to keep the modem, the router, and any extenders as separate units. I have an Amped TAP-EX2 extender that seems to work well. Easy to set up, and powerful.

Different people will have different ideas on routers. I like the Netgear line, although presently I am using a TP-Link Archer C7. Maybe for the average users, any would do a decent job. I had also used a Vizio, and they had tried to make the setup very user-friendly to the point it was annoying.

Whatever you think you would like, download a copy of the user manual and read it. Then, appreciate there will be things they don’t tell you 🙁 . My Archer C7 has a limit on the number of entries in the DHCP table. Many people would never put any entries in it. The Archer also only shows the connected devices that the DHCP has issued an IP to. An intruder could connect into your WiFi using a static IP and you would never see it.

In any event, on your WiFi network, move as many devices as you can to the 5Gb band. Much more room there, and less interference from telephones, microwaves, and so on.

Again, please let us know which way you go. Others may trying to make the same decisions.

Steve Rea
    Steve Rea
    Keymaster

http://routersecurity.org is an interesting place to read about the security implications of network routers.

HotDawg
    Participant

Holy cow, Steve!

What a bunch of information on routers. Good reading, but will take a long time to go thru all of it.

Thanks!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.