Keeping Track of Config File Changes

Home Forums Linux Keeping Track of Config File Changes

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Christian 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Christian
    Participant

Just wondering what others do to manage config files in /etc and elsewhere? I don’t do much besides making copies with the timestamp as an extension, and putting in lots of comments.

I’ve been using version control for years but never for config files. I was looking at etckeeper which keeps your entire /etc directory under version control. That seems a bit overkill so I might just setup a git repository and add subdirectories of /etc/ as I modify them.

Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

Lots of folks use git nowadays. etckeeper, which is in the Ubuntu repository, uses git if you want to.

Christian
    Participant

Thanks Nick. I ended up going with etckeeper and like it so far. The Debian package does an initial commit upon install so if you want to ignore any additional files (etckeeper ignores some files by default), you need to create a .gitignore file in /etc/ before installing the package.

I also read about Puppet and CFEngine, which seem like great tools, but I think their main purpose if for deploying an identical configuration to several machines.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.