Internet Providers

Home Forums The Show Discussion Internet Providers

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Racerbob 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Ray
    Participant

Sorry if this does not belong here, not sure where to post it, but need some info on local ISP’s.

Wife and I are looking to cut expenses, first thing we did was cut back on the cable to where we get just the basic from TWC for 14 dollars a month and we have TWC as our internet provider with the typical package.

This week wife figures we can try to stop the cable and use digital antennas which may be one choice.

But now she sees an ad for Direct TV for 2 years for 14.99 a month and yad yada, but seems they may wish to bundle things and the internet would be either AT&T, Verizon, or CenturyLink

I am not sure what DIrect TV would use, but are there any positives or not with any of these over TWC internet. We live in East Irondequoit.

I dont feel like changing the internet, satisfied as it is..

we do a lot of NEtflix and Hulu-Plus for viewing and computer wise, a lot of basic internet things, with wireless in the house for work access, email, web, etc.

But still curious to these other “choices”

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

I doubt there’s much difference between internet providers. One thing I like about AT&T U-Verse is that your IP address never changes, even though it’s DHCP. They’ve only had one major outtage 5am-10am in the 7 or so years I’ve had them. On the negative side, their modem costs $100 and you don’t get a choice like you do with TWC.

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

I take back what I said about AT&T. I still like their “sticky” IP addresses but after having them for years, the reliability has suddenly been going downhill as of the last few months. I’ve experienced three multi-hour outages, and during the day. Before this I’d only experienced minute outages in the middle of the night. I’ve heard AT&T is selling off their U-Verse service. Perhaps they’re in the middle of switching things over and this is the reason for the problems. Hopefully it isn’t that the new company has already taken over and this is what to expect from now on.

Racerbob
    Participant

Hi Ray, If you live in East Irondequoit, which is just across the bay from me, you cannot get the internet services that you have mentioned from those providers. AT&T U-Verse is not available in the greater Rochester area. Neither would Verizon or CenturyLink be an option.

You choices for broadband internet service are limited to Time Warner, Frontier DSL, or service that may be provided by any of the cell phone providers using a device that will connect you wirelessly to their networks. Typically, the monthly limits on those services limit your internet usage quite a bit.

So you have the 2/1 $14.99 a month Time Warner right now. How do you like it ? Are they charging you a modem rental fee or do you own your own modem ? I think that for $14.99 a month for 2/1 service that it is a really nice deal. For the average internet user who is e mailing, surfing, and even watching some streaming video, the service that you have should be working pretty well provided that the signal is good and that Time Warner really is giving you a reliable 2 megs download speed.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.