Information for Sound Bytes IRC Chat Room

Home Forums The Show Discussion Information for Sound Bytes IRC Chat Room

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Christian 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Christian
    Participant

I realized when you update an old thread, it doesn’t show up on the main page under recent topics.

Information for Sound Bytes IRC Channel (online chat room)

RChandra
    Participant

I will add it’s unfortunate, there is something preventing Nick from staying connected to IRC. During the previous few shows before today’s show, we saw him trying to connect to DALnet, but alas, we would see “quit messages” from DALnet due to ping timeouts, as well as several attempts to connect in the usual fashion of many clients of appending an underscore if one’s desired nickname is unavailable for some reason. So we would see AskNick, then AskNick_, then AskNick__, and so on. I don’t know if there is any workable solution for Nick to be able to stay connected and to see the #SoundBytes messages.

Christian suggested in the channel today that if there is an Internet accessible SSH server available to Nick, he could try using SSH tunnelling and port forwarding to get around any weirdness introduced by the Greece Schools’ NAT or firewalling.

Christian
    Participant

A great tip I learned is that you can use ssh with -D to create a quick SOCKS proxy. Run something like ‘ssh -D 8080 user@server.example.com‘ from the desktop then use localhost and 8080 for the proxy info.

Christian
    Participant

Maybe it’s not a client-side problem. I vaguely remember having trouble with a few servers in the DALnet pool. Eventually I just hard-coded choopa.nj.us.dal.net into my desktop client.

My laptop with HexChat defaulted to using us.dal.net and I see it had trouble finding a working server and also disconnected a few times before arriving at halcyon.il.us.dal.net.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.