Information for Sound Bytes IRC Channel (online chat room)

Home Forums The Show Discussion Information for Sound Bytes IRC Channel (online chat room)

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 18 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Christian Christian 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Christian
    Christian
    Participant

Every week during the show, join the hosts of Sound Bytes and listeners in our online chat room, #soundbytes on EFNet.

You can chat using your web browser by visiting this link:
    http://chat.efnet.org:9090/
    Choose a nickname and enter #soundbytes for the channel.

If you’d prefer a dedicated chat program, there are many free IRC clients available for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS and others.

(perhaps a note about the IRC channel could go on the homepage?)

Marc
    Participant

Thanks, Christian. This should be a sticky, if they want to run this during shows. The Hangouts Chat is pretty quiet, and I totally understand Nick and Steve can only keep their eyes on certain sites.

Marc
    Participant

Ping to Keep “Fresh”.

Marc
    Participant

Ping

Dan Warren
    Participant

Internet feed just went down at 115pm. If you were monitoring the irc channel you would know that.

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

ping

Dan Warren
    Participant

Channel is still active from 12-2 pm on Saturdays even though the team no longer monitors the channel.

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

The #soundbytes channel has been moved from EFnet to DALnet since the latter offers more features including channel and nickname registration. The old channel is still there.

If you don’t have an IRC client, you can chat using your web browser by going to http://www.dal.net/. Where it says “Chat Now” halfway down in the right column, choose a unique nickname and enter #soundbytes for the channel.

RChandra
    Participant

Really, it’s probably all around better to use an IRC client instead of a Web-page-based client. I like the ChatZilla add-on for Firefox personally. Opera also has an IRC client integrated into it, under the “Chat” menu. One of the most popular clients is mIRC, if that’s available for your system.

But if you would rather use a (JavaScript) client served up by a Web page, DALnet also supports a browser-based, Web-page-based IRC client at http://www.dal.net:9090/ using qwebirc. (It’s a more direct link than what Christian mentioned.)

I truly apologize for any split or duplication this has caused, but I thought the benefits outweighed the downsides, as Christian has pointed out.

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

Speaking of IRC clients, for *nix systems including OS X, I like irssi. I use it together with screen so I can re-connect to the same chat session when I’m on the road.

For Windows, I’ve ironically found X-Chat to be one of the nicest, not the proprietary version on xchat.org but this one named X-Chat 2 which is a port of the free version.

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

Saw that NickF joined us a few weeks ago; the one week I was gone 🙁 Hope he’ll consider joining in the future.

Dan Warren
    Participant

If your on Winndows an excellent irc clinet is
    MIRC at mirc.com. It’s not free but it is the most widely used irc clinet. You can multiple rooms open on more than 1 network at a time.

RChandra
    Participant

dunno about “rooms,” that might be their private name for “channels.”

Dan Warren
    Participant

Yes, that’s what I meant.

RChandra
    Participant

Nick said something on the show today about there being noone on IRC. Dunno about that, 5 people (including myself) are logged in as I type…mind you, on DALnet, not EFnet. His point about off-topic discussion still holds. We often DO talk about what’s being discussed on the show, but it IS true, we also often talk about things not related to the show at all.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.