I can see how Nick mighta not got it…

Home Forums The Show Discussion I can see how Nick mighta not got it…

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Christian Christian 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Rev 2
    Participant

If the man who wanted to change his semicolon to a colon, okay, he uses whatever program to change it. Now if he wants to change the original colon to a semicolon, and he enters as a destination what the key says is a semicolon, he won’t get a semicolon because the semicolon was overwritten with a colon. You can’t tell the software “make this a semicolon” because the semicolon doesn’t exist any more. Both positions on the key call up a colon.

You would have to temporarily make some unused key a semicolon so you still have it.

HotDawg
    Participant

I missed just what this was pertaining to, but. . .

Temporarily, you can generate almost any character using the ALT key. At least this worked in DOS, and I guess it still does.

If you hold down the ALT key and hit the 0 5 8 key sequence on the numeric keypad, then let up on the ALT key, you will get a colon.

And, if you use the 0 5 9 sequence, then you get the semicolon.

Handy for dropping a cent mark in somewhere — use the 1 3 5 and you get ç. Useful for dropping an an occasional foreign character, also.

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

It should be possible, because the operating system doesn’t see colons and semicolons, it sees a lower-level representation of the keys. For example on Linux they’re called keycodes or scancodes. There’s a table that translates these into the key symbols. You just need to change it so the normal press generates a colon and the shifted press generates a semicolon.

xmodmap -e "keycode 47 = colon semicolon"

The above command would accomplish what the caller was asking. I’ve no idea how to do it in Windows but there should be a way.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.