How to recover video from DVD's

Home Forums Macintosh How to recover video from DVD's

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Christian Christian 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

bklyn
    Participant

Long ago in a universe far far away…

A lot of home video was burned to / archives to DVD’s.

Now I’d like to recover the files in a manner that allows import into Final Cut Pro X (etc.) but haven’t found a way to recover the DVD contents as editable files.

Suggestions gratefully accepted!

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

DVDs use the VOB container format for storing video, audio and subtitles. If Final Cut can’t import those directly, you can use a transcoding tool to convert to something more universal like MP4. I like ffmpeg for this.

Something like this should do it:
    ffmpeg -i <input-file>.vob -acodec copy -vcodec copy <output-file>.mp4

The “copy” options tell ffmpeg to put the audio and video streams into the new container (MP4) without re-encoding. Anytime you re-encode you’ll lose a bit of quality.

There’s a GUI version for OS X here: http://www.ffmpegx.com/

If you want the real deal (the command line tool), there’s versions for OS X here:
    http://www.evermeet.cx/ffmpeg/

Alternatively, you can get it using Macports or Fink.

Update: Final Cut Pro might not support AC3 audio in an MP4 container. It might be better to re-encode the audio to the more common AAC like so:
    ffmpeg -i <input-file>.vob -acodec libfaac -ab 384k -vcodec copy <output-file>.mp4

Finally, I’ve heard there’s a trick where you can simply change the extension from .vob to .mpg, which might help programs that don’t recognize VOB. This works because VOB is just a specific type of MPEG.

Steve Rea
    Steve Rea
    Keymaster

There is also DVDxDV, iRIP, and Handbrake that can convert the DVD format into a format that FinalCut can import.
    THey probably use ffmpeg under the hood, but are GUI based.

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

If you end up re-encoding the video you might as well choose a codec that works really well for editing. Codecs designed for playback such as MPEG don’t store every frame of video which can make for inaccurate/sluggish timeline scrolling. DV is a good choice since you’re working with standard definition. M-JPEG is very similar to DV and works at any resolution. If M-JPEG isn’t available, you can use a codec such as MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 if you set the GOP (group of pictures) size to 1. This forces MPEG based codecs to store every frame, increasing the size, but making editing easier.

smileeb
    Participant

Would winff help convert files for doing this?

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

WinFF looks to be the Windows equivalent of FFmpegX, i.e. a GUI for ffmpeg, so if you were on Windows that would be one option.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.