How do I?

Home Forums The Show Discussion How do I?

This topic contains 14 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Racerbob 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

HotDawg
    Participant

Since this doesn’t really have anything to do with the show itself, maybe we need a topic like “How to do this”.

In the old days, I think we had a way to send a private email to some other registered user.

If so, does that still exist here?

Racerbob
    Participant

There are very many reasons to miss the old board. It truly was a better format and much more useful tool than this one. To let all of that go by the wayside is a real shame. So much history there and useful resources…not backed up and still able to be resurrected ? πŸ™

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

No private messages. Best solution for that seems to be the BuddyPress plugin. Integrating it with BBPress isn’t hard but the two don’t work together “out of the box”.

Meanwhile, I’m always in the IRC channel if anyone has any questions for me.

HotDawg
    Participant

Well, I truly don’t understand why the old board was scrapped. For the administrators that constantly preach backing things up, then to not have any backup has me scratching my bald head!

But, the reason for this particular request, was suppose for instance I wanted to contact Racerbob on something that really is of no interest to anyone else, how would I do it? I sure have learned by now not to post my email address in any public forum!

Yes, I know I could maybe find him in the phone book, but that might not be true of others here. I was hoping the private message ability was here, just that I hadn’t found it.

Racerbob
    Participant

Yes, this is my point exactly. There should have been a backup of the old board that could have been used after the new server was fired up. It is indeed the guys who preach about backing up. We have lost a significant number of regular contributors from the old board. Yes, there were cantankerous moments there from time to time and I am just as guilty of participating in discussions that I should have just kept my nose out of. πŸ™‚ But we have 123 registered users here at this new board at this time. This board is not user friendly. And we have lost literally tons of history from the old board. As far as finding me in the phone book…nope. We only use cell phones and at last check I did not find any Racerbobs in the local book. πŸ™‚

HotDawg
    Participant

We may have lost a lot of the history, but some is still there! Check out the Our “Picture Galleries”. Those must have been dredged up from somewhere.

dbriggs
    Participant

surprised it took this long for the topic to come up. was looking for a way to contact someone half the country away and found there’s no way. have lost all interest in this site (and show)

Racerbob
    Participant

Hi dbriggs. Well all one has to do here is to have a look around. Strobes isn’t here. Bobbi isn’t here. (that I can tell) And many others are gone. Yes, I know, Bob quit your whining and be happy that we have a place to post. Nice to see you anyway. I still stop in here once a day on average to see if there is anything of interest. I do notice that none of the guys are adding anything to this particular topic or others.

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

Would you like some cheese?

Racerbob
    Participant

Well say what you want Christian. On second thought, your comment is uncalled for and shocking for me to hear from you. Thought that you were above this sort of stuff. How about an intelligent discussion about the issue instead of making fun ?

At the very least I was hoping for some sort of a response from Nick in this particular post.

Another board that I belong to had a server crash and was down for a while. It came back…actually it is a website that has many boards devoted to many topics… Changes were made and new more restrictive rules were set and now there are fewer posts there by fewer people and one board has had a mass exodus of long time regular posters because a new board on a new website was set up. All of the regulars have gone there.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by  Racerbob.
    Christian
    Christian
    Participant

I’m sorry, Racerbob. My failed attempt at humor wasn’t aimed directly at you. I too wish we’d hear more from the guys in these forums.

Alright, here’s a solution. If you want to privately exchange contact info, you could send a private message through the Hangout or IRC. IRC has the advantage of not requiring you to have a GMail account.

dbriggs
    Participant

that doesn’t address the fact that there is no longer a member list (at least I can’t find one; all I see is a map). so how would one contact someone if they weren’t already there?

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by  dbriggs.

Racerbob
    Participant

There is no reason why the old board format could not be restored. This is my opinion. I participate in other boards that use the very same software that the old Soundbytes board used to use. I do not care for WordPress and I fail to see the advantage of using it.

Christian…no harm, no foul. The guys do not participate in these forums. I am not sure why. I know that they do the show as a labor of love and that they are not reimbursed for volunteering their time. I appreciate that. But as a long time member of this place I feel like an orphan in many respects. Life goes on.

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

I was a member of the old forum for 10 years, and with the exception of current events and that word game, activity was very low. So maybe restart the word game if you want that sort of thing. I was always bored before because actual computer related topics came up very infrequently.

Now as far as the forum software goes, phpBB (old forum) has a ton of built-in features whereas bbPress (new forum) is designed to have that stuff added via plug-ins. You’d also have to consider that, if we switched and started from scratch again, we might actually wind up with less users instead of more.

I share your sentiments but not being in a position to do anything about it, what more can be said? As a long time supporter, I’d happily volunteer some time to help administer and make any wanted changes to this site.

Racerbob
    Participant

Christian, I think that it would be great if the guys allowed you to become an administrator here. I do not think that they have the time to modify this board format to the point where it becomes more user friendly and useful for those that still choose to visit here. I stop by once or twice a day on average and cannot help but notice that the number of users who are registered here remains at 125. Eben a switch back to the old board format with categories such as Current Events removed would be a step in the right direction.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.