How do I fight off the newest imposition by Google?

Home Forums Windows How do I fight off the newest imposition by Google?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Rev 2 4 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Rev 2
    Participant

So now, most of the times I open Chrome, or a new tab in Chrome, Google just ups and opens Google and displays a pictorial portrayal of my recent site views.

I do not want this to happen. I really, really don’t want this to happen. When I open Chrome I want nothing but Chrome. When I open Google, I want nothing but Google, let alone when someone else throws unwanted stuff on my screen.

How do I make this stop? I know about the “set page to open to” thing in Settings –> On Startup, but it ignores my setting most of the time.

Marc
    Participant

Under Chrome’s Settings, go to the Appearance section. Is the “Show Home button” checked? if not, check it, then directly under it should be showing your Home Page – I’m betting it’s set to google.com, hit the Change button next to it, and type in about:blank that will give you a blank page when Chrome believes you are trying to open the home page. There may be something set in the crashes that reloads the last set of pages when Chrome closes unexpectedly, but I’ll look around for that info.

As far as Google.com showing your previous searches, you either need to Log Out of Google, Or set the Settings on the Search page, select down in the bottom right hand corner the Settings->Search Settings, and go to the “Private Results” and select “Do not use Private Results” and also read the link about Private Results, to get more info. You may also want to look at the Search History at the bottom of that settings page as well, to confirm it is set as you desire.

Hope this helps.

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

You might want to try running Chromium instead of Chrome. Chromium is the free software project to which Google adds it’s tweaks (read: tracking apps) to become Chrome. There are several ways to install it. This site detects your operating system and offers you the correct version.
    https://download-chromium.appspot.com/

Read more about the differences between Chrome and Chromium here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromium_%28web_browser%29#Differences_from_Google_Chrome

Rev 2
    Participant

“As far as Google.com showing your previous searches…”

Wow, there’s TWO preference areas? I did what you said; I hope it works.

This Chrome thing is so wacky I went back to Firefox as default. Except I use Chrome for streaming media because the adblockers and flashblockers don’t work — so nothing gets hung up….

Rev 2
    Participant

“Under Chrome’s Settings, go to the Appearance section. Is the “Show Home button” checked? if not, check it, then directly under it should be showing your Home Page – I’m betting it’s set to google.com, hit the Change button next to it, and type in about:blank that will give you a blank page when Chrome believes you are trying to open the home page.”

Wrongo, baby, it still shows the history sometimes, but less frequently than before. It is way unstable…

And now, instead of opening the online jpg that it always did, it gives a message that it can’t open the jpg because it doesn’t have a stylesheet…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.