help with windows update with xp sp3 and ie8

Home Forums Windows help with windows update with xp sp3 and ie8

This topic contains 16 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Christian Christian 3 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

stevenr1111
    Participant

I’ll try and make this short and sweet. Working on a friends pc. He had a lot of bad stuff on it that I have cleaned out. The result is a screwed up registry. It seems to have lost track of what updates have been installed. I have tried to reinstall sp3, no change. I have tried to run repair but it gets stuck in a setup loop. Luckily I backed up everything and have been able to restore it to a somewhat workable state.
    My question is: is there someway to reset the system so that it will reload all of the updates. Is there a registry entry that I can manipulate or a sub folder that can be deleted so that when the activex program runs it will not see any of the updates that have been installed?? Thanks guys

smileeb
    Participant

The bad news is you tried to fix a dead operating system. By dead, Microsoft has quit making any up dates for any version of windows older than win10. Your best bet is to see if you can get a version of linux to run on that machine. The other solution is to go buy a chromebook computer.

Example ( https://www.staples.com/Chromebook-Laptops/cat_CL167289/6xnqw )

HotDawg
    Participant

Well, XP may be dead — but Microsoft still is supplying some updates.

Throw “windows updates for xp sp3” in your favorite search engine and you will find links to where these can be downloaded from on the Microsoft site. There were a couple there in May 2017 — so some things are being looked at.

I think I would replace the SP3 as a start (that is also available) again. Or, maybe a “repair install”, while maybe a bit more drastic, would fix things. And should not screw up the personal files and data. I am sure you can also download an ISO for XP from Microsoft. Be sure you use the correct version of XP to match what you are repairing (32 bit or 64 bit, and SP level). From what I understand the 64 bit was buggy.

The individual updates will need to be manually installed. But, there is still info out on the web as to where the updates are downloaded to and installed from. Google (or equivalent) is your friend.

And, a final thought — there should be backups to the registry on the disk.

stevenr1111
    Participant

thanks, but been there done that. the sp3 uninstall stalls as it is looking for an entry that doesn’t exist (according to the log). And as I stated I tried the repair but it gets stuck in a setup loop. It gets down to where there is about 9 minutes left to go, reboots and starts over. I would love to roll this thing back to sp2 level, as I have done with my own machine on several occasions, and start over. I have done multiple searches on the net for help but have found none that will help. That is why I came to you guys, as you are MUCH smarter than what I usually find on a search. Thanks

smileeb
    Participant

As he has stated he is having troubles trying to recover and it is a waste of time to work with an unsupported OS. He would be happier and farther ahead trying to install linux or buying a Chromebook.

HotDawg
    Participant

While I might agree that XP is a thing of the past, the OP was not asking for help upgrading to something else — he was working on a friend’s PC, not his, and trying to get it back working like it was.

There might be real reasons why they want to stick with XP. They might have hardware that lacks drivers for newer OS. Maybe just having to bring his friend up to speed on a different OS may be difficult.

I am still running as a 1st choice OS that “dead” Win 7. I have both 8.1 and 10, and Linux on here under a dual boot environment. Sticking with that 7 is my choice.

Hopefully he will keep us posted n the progress (or lack of it) that he makes, and someone here can help him get that PC running like they want.

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

Microsoft has quit making any updates for any version of windows older than win10

Just because the show is spreading this myth doesn’t mean we have to.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet
    Windows 7 is supported until 2020 and 8 until 2023.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17140/lifecycle-faq-general-policy-questions
    “Is the Extended Hotfix Support program required for customers to receive security updates?”
    “No. If a security update is created, it will be made available to all customers through the standard security release process. The monthly security release occurs on the second Tuesday of the month.”

Unfortunately the show is confusing Extended Hotfix Support (which is paid) with Extended Support which all customers receive. The vagueness and ever shifting narrative is not helping their case. Just last week in response to a caller I heard “yes you get some security updates”. So are you guys saying other security updates are for paid support customers only? Prove it. I’d like to know why the entire PC journalism industry (and Microsoft’s website) is wrong and Sound Bytes is right.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2475079,00.asp
    “Your computer will still work and receive security updates. Mainstream support mainly refers to free phone and online support, as well as non-security updates”

https://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/computing/windows-7/windows-7-support-end-11364081315419
    “Once an operating system enters extended support, it’s still very safe to use. It means that Microsoft will continue to patch any security threats but won’t add any new features”

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-7-support-what-happens-on-january-13-2015/
    “Mainstream support” is the period during which Microsoft provides for free security and non-security updates and telephone support for its products. “Extended support” — the period during which Microsoft continues to provide for free security updates for products — doesn’t end until January 14, 2020 for Windows 7 SP1.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2452702/dont-panic-yes-windows-7-is-leaving-mainstream-support-but-it-isnt-being-abandoned.html
    “You’ll still receive those oh-so-critical security patches during extended support”

random text because bbpress’s “edit post” is not great

HotDawg
    Participant

My Win 7 seems to be still receiving updates. This week’s updates brought in 4, all published 6/13/2017.

At least one seems very specific for Win 7

2017-06 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4022719)

I think what Microsoft is saying is they will not be adding new features to Win 7.

Racerbob
    Participant

Thank you Christian. Myths indeed. Running Win 7 Pro here and I get updates.

RChandra
    Participant

That’s what I was talking about a few weeks ago as the last call of that particular show. Don’t believe anyone, including me and the show hosts. Read the material for yourselves, and come to your own conclusions. Christian has done that, and like myself comes to a different conclusion, that is, there is plenty of no-cost support left. I’m not saying we’re absolutely right, just that so far, I come to that conclusion.

RChandra
    Participant

The best advice I can give is, if you don’t have backups, if you can get at the filesystem at all (putting the disk in another computer if necessary, or possibly booting a Linux live disc which has NTFS support), copy any data off the disk. Reinstall the OS and any applications. More and more malware is finding novel ways to evade detection, so you just NEVER know what nasties will be lurking, waiting to spring forth at some future time. If there are no other options, software designed to clean your filesystem and registry are sort-of OK, but really, it ought to be just to salvage your data before doing a reinstallation. Yes, it’s a pain in the behind, but it’s really the only way. And you’d better hope they haven’t figured out how to rewrite your UEFI, in which case you’re most likely looking at replacing the machine instead of the just the OS.

HotDawg
    Participant

You’ve hit upon a couple good points, but they bring up a couple questions.

First, my Win 7 Pro developed the “Black Screen of Death”. I tried everything I could think of to heal it, and nothing has worked. Early on (after the KSOD) I did make a copy of everything in that partition.

I thought I had been making good backups, but they were very incomplete.

I made another installation of Win 7, and have that running great. Moving the Thunderboid and Firefox profiles over was easy. But I have untold packages on the dead system I would like to salvage. I am assuming some, or all, of these have various entries in the registry. If so, how do I track those down? I am familiar with finding the registry hives on the dead system, but is it a matter of just searching the hives for package names, extracting entries, and adding to the new system registry? Seems like work!

The old system was on a drive with a MBR boot. The new drive uses GPT, so there is now the UEFI to contend with. I find on my system, you really can’t have both a MBR based disk and a UEFI based drive on the system at boot time. All things go nutz. For this salvage operation I got around this by mounting the old drive in an ESATA enclosure and activating it after the boot.

The original system has a long history. It was originally XP, then got updated to 7 Home, and finally to 7 Pro. Each of these levels has it’s own product ID. But, only the last one (to the Pro) is current. And, since that upgrade was via on online update, there was no CDROM disk involved. And, Microsoft won’t let me download a disk ISO, since that ID is for an upgrade. So, I don’t have a Win 7 Pro CD that will work with trying to do a repair/install. I have simplified this, even tho it doesn’t seem like it!

Anyone got any help ideas?

stevenr1111
    Participant

why is it everytime I read a thread it gets so far off topic there is not a shred of helpful information for the initial problem??? Anyway I was able to fix the pc. It was a long hard road repairing many registry issues by hand

HotDawg
    Participant

Well, my apologies if I was one that gave any information that would let the thread get hijacked. But, I try to pass on random thoughts that gurgle around in my head that may give the OP a possible lead to solving a problem.

My thanks tho, for you at least letting us know that you solved the problem, and roughly how you did it. All too many times, we never get the final results for some problem someone has been having.

I am curious — did you try using any of the backup copies of the registry that Windows keeps?

stevenr1111
    Participant

Backup registry didn’t help because they were all gone. The history on this beast was that the owner had at one time made it a duel boot system with xp and windows 7. When he removed the window 7 portion it wasn’t pretty. I remotely scanned the drive and found several nasty viruses along with numerous malware. After that I was able to boot into xp but with multiple errors such as: unable to access the windows update page or any other page that had the name microsoft in the address. If I accessed the desktop properties page there were no tabs visible, just monitor adjustments. I found that the .net installations were corrupted. I initially attempted to do a repair with the setup disk but it would go into a setup loop and never finish. I tried reloading sp3 with no difference. Tried a rollback to sp2 but the recovery files were missing. Fortunately I had done a full backup using easeus, so every time I ran into a brick wall I was able to restore it. Between isolating many flawed registry settings I was able to export proper entries using another pc. It was like peeling an onion with tiny steps of improvement. Finally once I was able to get the update page to work everything began to fall into place.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.