Frontier FIBERHOUSE in Rochester area

Home Forums The Show Discussion Frontier FIBERHOUSE in Rochester area

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Racerbob 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

HotDawg
    Participant

Sorting thru some mail here, I found a recent card from Frontier saying “FIBERHOUSE from Frontier is available in your neighborhood!”.

I tried getting on line to their site to see what might be available and at what prices. Really struck out with broken links and endless navigation loops.

All the major communication lines for the area go by here, and I am not aware of any fiber for Frontier.

Does anyone have any information on what this service is?

Racerbob
    Participant

No info, but that is interesting. Call them and find out and let us know. I will say that Frontier does have some fiber in limited areas around our community and I will share what one of their managers shared with me via e mail on Monday. I had e mailed him asking about any planned improvements in service here in Webster. Sadly, he let me know that my neighborhood is still maxed out at 6/1 service for the foreseeable future. Parts of Webster have been upgraded to speeds as high as 24 Mbps down. I cannot understand why a densely populated well established older neighborhood such as mine is not slated to receive any upgrades anytime soon. I live a quarter of a mile away from a DSLAM box that serves this area.

Here is part of what the gentleman from Frontier had to say to me:

“* Frontier Communications is continually investing in areas upgrades across the market. A portion of this has been dedicated to capital improvements on DSLAMs thus creating the ability to have speeds offered in residential areas of up to 6/12/24 meg. This does include some portions of Webster, but unfortunately, your particular DSLAM has not yet been upgraded. As you can imagine, Rochester is a very large market, and we are prioritizing and upgrading as quickly as we are able based on a variety of factors. Please note, I will retain your information for the future and inform you when this particular DSLAM gets upgraded. As for now, the current plan is to not have this completed in the near future.

*Frontier is offering speeds up to 50meg. This is being offered in some of our Fiber to the Home neighborhoods. “

HotDawg
    Participant

Well, I called right after 1 PM today. Apparently all their people were busy with something else and I ended up with their voice mail. Left a message as to what I wanted to know, and they were to call back as soon as they had someone free.

Good thing it wasn’t a real emergency! So far, no call back. I will post any information I end up with.

The card I have mentions download speeds available up to 30 Mbps.

I also inquired from Greenlight as to when they might be available here, and received a nice reply from them where it looks like 2H15. Maybe Frontier will be a mute point.

Racerbob
    Participant

Well Frontier for sure is a mute point here. 6 Mbps download tops is a joke. They are missing out on an opportunity here because my neighborhood has quite a few homes in it and we live near the rich “Websterites” who have beautiful homes overlooking the Bay. 🙂

HotDawg
    Participant

After a second call to Frontier, eventually I received a call back. They confirmed I do NOT have fiber available here. Apparently, those cards went out to many areas where fiber might be as long way down the road.

From what I was told, they can give me 15 Mbps down. That is what I am getting with TW now, so depending upon what price haggling I can do with TW, it could go either way. Or, if Greenlight shows up — they might get the business.

The other factor to consider is the TV part of it. In my location I receive about 37 channels OTA. I could get by without the cable TV feed and not miss much.

Racerbob
    Participant

I cannot deprive myself of a decent TV channel lineup that includes such networks as MSG for watching the Sabres as I am right this minute and Fox Sports 1 for watching motorsports events such as the Las Vegas NASCAR qualifying that just ended a few minutes ago. I am as thrifty as can be, but my wife and myself are the type of people who stay home a lot…especially with the type of winter we have been having this year. So TV and internet are our sources of entertainment and we both work too hard to not deprive ourselves of being able to view programming that we want to watch.

I would not put too much faith in Frontier for their DSL service. If they told you that they can give you 15 down, they are lying as their speed levels are 6,12, and 24 down. And you would be very fortunate to come close to the 12 down if you do not live close to the DSLAM or CO. Time Warner consistently delivers good and reliable speed to me. No complaints.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.