Free Windows 10 upgrade from 8.1

Home Forums Windows Free Windows 10 upgrade from 8.1

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  HotDawg 2 years ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Ray
    Participant

Kind of clueless here on how to do the free upgrade.

Wife won an Asus T100T tablet from a work party, the device came with Windows 8.1 installed.

I am not sure how to upgrade it to Windows 10. It seems it wants a product key but the tablet never came with any documentation or paperwork and I cannot find anything on any label other than the serial number on bottom of the tablet.

How do we progress from here?

Thanks

HotDawg
    Participant

I’m not sure you need to enter a product key when you are doing an upgrade like you would be. I had a similar computer that came with Win 8.1 (with Bing) that had no product key. I let Microsoft do the upgrade, and it never asked for a product key.

Another computer I also upgraded. In that case I had downloaded the ISO image for the upgrades, burned it to a disk, and ran it from within the Win 7 that was on the computer. Again, no asking for a product key.

In both cases, the upgrade was done from within the running OS that was on the computer. I think if you do a fresh install from the CD — not as an upgrade — then you would need a product key. But, somewhere on the Microsoft site where I had downloaded that ISO, they were supplying a generic product key should you need it.

For me, I rolled both those computers back to the original OS — which you can do within the first 30 days. But, you may find Win 10 more to your liking than I did.

And, there are some utilities on the web that are supposed to pry out a product key from a running OS. Offhand I think one might be JellyBean, or something like that. I guess that would be another approach you might take.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.