Forum: 9 Apr 16 – What's your browser of choice, and why?

Home Forums The Poll Discussion Forum: 9 Apr 16 – What's your browser of choice, and why?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  HotDawg 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

Microsoft’s browsers are losing market share, despite being included on every Windows system sold. What are you using instead, and why?

Racerbob
    Participant

Right now it is a toss up between Firefox (running the Classic Theme Restorer extension) and a nice Chrome based browser called Slimjet.

http://www.slimjet.com/

I like being able to keep a bookmark side panel open and docked on the left side of the browser window and the regular Chrome and other Chrome based browsers do not have that option. Slimjet does. I have also played around a bit with Opera and a newcomer to the browser world that is called Vivaldi. Vivaldi just released their first stable version. There is a nice bookmarks side panel extension for Opera that is called v7 Bookmarks and the developer is working on a similar extension for Chrome.

https://vivaldi.com/

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

Begrudgingly still using Firefox despite Mozilla being run by a bunch of twats. Of course it’s the distro packaged version not the ad infested bloat from the source. Occasionally I’ll fire up Chromium when Mozilla’s hundred million non-profit dollars fail to comprehend a five year old web standard. Weird because the rest of the software I use was developed on a shoe sting budget and works perfectly.

HotDawg
    Participant

Also put me down for Firefox. I guess that is due to inertia, mainly because I had set it to being the default. I also have Chrome up, and use it a lot. I could live with either — I use IE only when I get forced into it. (When you want to buy tickets on the Fast Ferry, you had to do that online, and only if using IE.)

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

So you’re the other guy that went on the fast ferry 🙂 I don’t remember having to use IE but I was a Windows guy back then so maybe. Great experience although we traveled as reduced speed coming back due to an engine problem.

bw8
    Participant

Since I only use a Chromebook, it’s gotta be chrome!

ScreenScream
    Participant

Firefox has always been very good to me since discovering it many years ago. Very few problems, and minor.

Although I appreciate some of what goober is about, if anyone has online businesses of any kind, they’ve likely suffered consequences at the hands of goober at some point. Good, honest businesses have been wiped out by them in one way or another far too frequently.

So I’ve had a long-standing prejudice and hatred of goober that is justified, and I feel strongly that Chrome is more of a spy browser than anything else.

I never-ever tell people to “goober it.” I always tell people to “search it” (engine of their choice) and if someone tells me to “goober it,” I let them know…”I’ll search it instead.” I prefer Yahoo (despite the fact that everything they do now is making it harder and harder to tolerate them)

I use chrome, but only minimally and because I was forced to to utilize a program once recently, I’m not a fan of their top navigation at all (perhaps there is a tool bar I am missing or don’t know how to show) and I’d much rather stay as far away from corporate browsers as I can.

Constantly looking for new reliable browsers, but finding very few. Would love suggestions.

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

There’s a bunch of lesser known ones. Unfortunately the ones I was going to recommend (Midori, Konqueror) are only available for Linux or as source code.

Larry
    Participant

Still loving my Chromebook too!

Racerbob
    Participant

A Chrome based browser just “feels” faster than Firefox. I have voted for “Other” in the poll because I guess that I do not have “go to” browser at this time, but I do find myself more and more using Slimjet over Firefox.

HotDawg
    Participant

Christian: At least you can tell your grandchildren about riding the half-fast ferry.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.