Forum: 7 May 16 – Millions of email credentials revealed

Home Forums The Poll Discussion Forum: 7 May 16 – Millions of email credentials revealed

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Christian Christian 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

Time to change all those passwords!

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

Google and Yahoo affected.

Time to switch to Hotmail? 🙂

ScreenScream
    Participant

They can have my yahoo account if they want it. The service has done nothing except get worse since I started using it 15 years ago, and they’ve made some money off me, so I’m up for changing email servers.

The problem is, who? No way am I using gmail, too much of an aversion to the big Goober as well. (Sigh)

RChandra
    Participant

Also enable, where possible, multifactor authentication. Most sites use RFC 6238 time-based one-time passwords (TOTPs). There are many, many implementations for Android, iOS, and even HTML5 (uses the Web Storage API to store the keys in your browser). Even if your password is compromised, it won’t be useful unless the TOTP is also known.

Racerbob
    Participant

Great idea to change passwords often,no matter what. I also just ran across this article just now…Turns out that this particular breach may not be as bad as it originally was thought.

http://www.neowin.net/news/google-mailru-and-yahoo-claim-that-more-than-98-of-the-leaked-credentials-were-bogus

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

My mail server isn’t accessible from the public internet and requires a VPN connection for sending and receiving.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.