Forum: 6 Jun 15 – Windows 10 Available 29 July

Home Forums The Poll Discussion Forum: 6 Jun 15 – Windows 10 Available 29 July

Tagged: 

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Christian Christian 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

Do you seriously need a link to a story to understand this one?

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

Finally Windows users can have virtual desktops! Still no tabbed file manager but hey, gotta hold something back in order to sell the next upgrade 🙂

Speaking of features copied from Unix, I hear the next release of Windows server will include SSH and default to a GUI-less install.

ScreenScream
    Participant

Didn’t expect everyone to agree with my poll choice, “Don’t Rush Me.” Interesting.

I purchased a 7 late last year because there’s just no way I’m getting near 8. All four of our family puters are on 7, very happily so.

SO, if they mess THIS one up…I will defect completely over to Unix. I hate Bill Gates anyway.

Annoyed
    Participant

After having briefly looked at the preview of this in a VM, my impression is that it stinks to high heaven.

First, it has MS’s search/advertising tool, Bing embedded in it, which I don’t like. The operating system should not be doing data mining for the advert/marketing industries. Period.

2nd… Yes, they are offering it for free to everyone who has Win 7 or 8. But MS is not a charitable organization. Are you going to have to buy a subscription renewal next year to keep using it? AFTER you can’t go back to what you have now? I know they want to move to an annual subscription model for the Office suite. And I’ve heard rumors about Windows.

I have licensed copies of 7 & 8 on several computers. I have already paid for these, and I see no reason to switch to something which seems likely to require an annual fee.

Lastly, they are offering this as an upgrade to licensed copies. Are they going to provide a path to do a “clean” installation? I think we all know how well installing windows on top of itself works out.

I don’t see any great improvement to the UI functionality over Win 8.1, either. But I’ve never had a problem myself learning to use 8. It’s just a bad design, and this ain’t much better. I will grant the multiple desktops bit is nice, though.

wingtwo
    Participant

IS THIS TRUE? – PLEASE COMMENT
    FROM PCGAMER.COM

Microsoft: Windows 10 will not be sold as a subscription

At its press event today, Microsoft announced that Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for Windows 7 and Windows 8 users during its first year of availability. There was some confusion, however, when Microsoft’s Terry Myerson started talking about Windows 10 “as a service.” Did that mean that after that first year of free availability, Windows 10 would cost an annual fee? I asked Myerson for clarification after the presentation, and he confirmed that there will be no additional fees attached to Windows 10, whenever you buy it.
    Myerson clarified that Windows 10 users will still get free updates and support for the lifetime of the OS, exactly like past versions of Windows (like XP and Windows 7’s Service Packs, for example). There’s no subscription model for updates or support or continuing to use the OS. Myerson’s reference to Windows “as a service” simply meant that Microsoft plans to update the OS with smaller, more regular updates rather than the big, chunky updates of past Service Packs.
    A year after Windows 10 is first available, it will no longer be a free upgrade for Windows 7 and 8 users. Microsoft will then sell Windows 10 the same way it has sold past versions of Windows. MS hasn’t set a specific price yet, but Myerson said the price will likely be comparable to past versions of Windows. Windows 8 costs $120 on Amazon, for instance.

Update: It seems there’s still confusion. It is very clear from this post that for the first year it’s available, you can upgrade to Windows 10 for free if you have Windows 7 or 8. You will not pay for it. After that year is up, nothing will happen to your Windows 10 license. If you do not upgrade within that year, however, you will have to pay for an upgrade. The offer expires after a year, not the upgrade.

glynne
    Participant

Thank you wingtwo! I wanted to point that out myself.

Nick Francesco, the FUD-master, was spreading it pretty well Saturday and I so desperately wanted to call him on that.

‘We will not know till July 29, but until then we’ll announce it like it had happened’ <ugh!>

And a link:
    http://www.winbeta.org/news/stopping-fud-there-no-yearly-subscription-fee-windows-10

And that didn’t take much google-foo to find either.

Does this show need that much attention?
    Now I know what armchair quarterbacks feel like.
    Glynne

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/01/what-windows-as-a-service-and-a-free-upgrade-mean-at-home-and-at-work/

Microsoft wants you to pay for Windows with a new PC then all future version upgrades are free for the life of that computer, similar to phone OS upgrades. Some articles are referring to it a service, even though you pay for it all upfront.

This plan should work fine for the those who buy a computer with Windows, keep it until it breaks, then buy a new one. What about people who frequently upgrade or need to replace broken parts. It seems Microsoft will have to remove the ability to transfer Windows to new hardware. Otherwise you’d never pay for Windows again. I wonder how they propose to handle these situations.

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

Looks like I’m not the only one with that question.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/will-microsoft-piracy-obsession-create-a-windows-10-licensing-mess/

And a question I’ve been asked repeatedly: If someone takes advantage of the free Windows 10 upgrade offer and then suffers a system disk crash, how do they reinstall Windows 10 on the replacement device?

Racerbob
    Participant
    Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

No one, as of last week’s show time, knew if Microsoft was going to charge for Windows 10 after a year goes by. And we have a whole year for them to make that decision (or change it). Given Microsoft’s need to keep pumping up the stock price, I suspect there’s a whole lot of pressure to make Windows a subscription service, no matter what someone tweets.

Does the race always go to the swift, or the battle to the strong? Nope. But that’s the way the smart money bets.

Racerbob
    Participant

I do not see a subscription service coming. Those who are not eligible for any free upgrade will be buying their operating system (Windows 10) when it becomes available in the stores this summer. I do not see Microsoft then charging them for a yearly subscription fee after their first year with the new operating system is over.

Racerbob
    Participant
    Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

So, if you were listening to the show today, you know that it seems that Windows 10 is and will always be free “for the life of the device.” Sounds like that means if you put Windows 10 on a computer today, it’s free, and as long as you own that machine, it will be free. But if you buy another machine, it will not be free.

Also, at some point, Windows 10 will reach End of Life, and updates will stop. Then you can upgrade, or hang in the wind(ows).

Also, Microsoft has announced the next version of Windows, which won’t have a number; it’ll just be called “Windows.” And, although Microsoft hasn’t said much about it, everybody’s assuming it will, indeed, be a subscription model. Which makes sense from a shareholders’ point of view. And, of course, since Windows 10 updates over the air, you’ll have no install disks. And so, eventually, when you buy a new computer, you’ll get “Windows” with the subscription model whether you like it or not.

Can we put this to rest now?

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

Another point that’s missed is not only is it free to upgrade to Windows 10, but upgrades to the next versions of Windows will also be free. Charging for future upgrades would defeat the purpose of offering the Windows 10 upgrade for free. They want to avoid having to supporting multiple Windows version simultaneously. They want to avoid another situation where people are hanging on to an old version.

Edit: started writing the above before I saw Nick’s reply. I don’t think the Windows 10 upgrade being free and whether or not they switch to a subscription model have much to do with each other. Satya Nadella has said they have no plans to change the Windows business model. He also said they will keep your device current, for the lifetime of the device, at no additional charge. That seems to preclude a subscription service, or at least a compulsory one. I just read an article in Forbes where they did a comparison to Office365. You can still buy Office the old fashioned way, but the subscription based Office365 offers some perks that make it an attractive alternative. So if they do add a Windows subscription option down the road, it might look something like that.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.