Forum: 28 Sept 13 – House of Cards, an online-only drama, won an Emmy

Home Forums The Poll Discussion Forum: 28 Sept 13 – House of Cards, an online-only drama, won an Emmy

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Dan Warren 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

Sea change, or no big deal?

Christian
    Participant

It might be online-only but it has just as big of a production budget as the network shows. It will really but something when a YouTube-only show wins.

I don’t think the networks care about Emmys. It’s great for writers & directors, but the networks are mostly interested in advertising revenue. The most watched shows aren’t usually the critics’ favorites.

What is the viewer count for TV networks vs Cable vs Netflix?

Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

Right – it was as big-budget as the majors, which is one of the things bothering the networks. Originally, the thinking was that nobody else would spend enough money to make a top-notch show.

Now more than one non-traditional network is doing it. And it’s successful. Very.

You’re right – What the networks care about is money. Viewers = big ad money. And somewhere upwards of a gazillion people heard about House of Cards on Sunday. And Orange is the New Black. Many of them will check it all out. That’s bad for the networks.

Netflix has about 27 million in the US; about 40 million world-wide. But that’s growing as network viewers are shrinking. Some to cable, some to Netflix. But still shrinking.

Dan Warren
    Participant

I already pay for DISH and TWC(special rate). I don’t watch enough movies to make Netflix worth while. So I will not be watching any of it’s special productions.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.