Forum: 26 Sept 15 – AVG says it can sell your data if you use their free version

Home Forums The Poll Discussion Forum: 26 Sept 15 – AVG says it can sell your data if you use their free version

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Racerbob 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

Free vs. pay seems to be the topic lately. And companies are getting tired of free(loaders).

Personally, I don’t have a problem with this. Any company has the right to make money off of their products, and they provide plenty of ways around it. Or I can move on.

Honestly, good for them. Hope they make a zillion dollars.

mycque
    Participant

As long as you can opt-out, its their company. Personally, I’ve been paying for mine since my first computer.

HotDawg
    Participant

Well, why not? Take a look at Microsoft and Windows 10 — if they can do it, why not AVG?

Actually, I use Avast — however I suspect the same goes on with them, and many other free (and paid for) programs for Windows.

Consider Linux, almost all programs are free, and the authors don’t expect you to turn over your body and soul if you use their product.

ScreenScream
    Participant

I’m pretty sure that when I was a kid, “skinflint” was used in place of the word “penis.”

So I was sure to check that answer in the poll.

Last week a heated angry topic, this week obscenity and vulgarity…

Soundbytes is getting more fun by the day.

Can’t wait till next week.

;p

RChandra
    Participant

It’s the yin and the yang. If the product is free to you, you’re the product being sold to someone else, even if anonymously. Google for example provides a great amount of value for not charging any money, and we know going in it’s our usage/activity which gets sold to their clients, more-or-less anonymized (although not perfectly anonymized, because it’s possible for Google’s clients to apply some analysis to figure out my usage data). So on the surface of it, I don’t like AVG selling information about me, but if it’s anonymized, I care less, but it would provide something valuable so I would put up with it.

As it is though, I only run Windows for one specific purpose periodically (updating my TomTom), and my “antivirus” is Linux. (Yes, I realize it’s not immune, but it’s pretty darn good.)

HotDawg
    Participant

In looking up the definition of skinflint, I couldn’t find any reference to anything obscene or vulgar. Only definitions that I think were exactly what the meaning were meant to convey.

Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

I belive ScreenScream is thinking of “skin flute,” which is something else entirely.

RChandra
    Participant

I forgot to write, I chose “I’m a skinflint, so I’ll find something else” because my “something else” is Linux. I don’t think I’m a skinflint, but, uhhh…. 🙂

Racerbob
    Participant

I use free AVG, but haven’t provided them with any information at all. So are they looking through my computer to find information on me ?

On another note, why sure, my wife will be very pleased that I can now find the Sweet Asian Woman that I am meant to be with. (Ads to the right) 🙂 So happy that I can now see these important ads !

Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

Pretty sure when you pay for it, though, the ads go away. So you get the choice, which is nice.

Racerbob
    Participant

No Nick, I was talking about the ads on this website. 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.