Forum: 26 Apr 14 Are you a cord cutter?

Home Forums The Poll Discussion Forum: 26 Apr 14 Are you a cord cutter?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Ray 2 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

No cable… no landline… Are you a cord cutter?

Racerbob
    Participant

No landline. Been using cell phones only here for a long time, but unlike many people, we do not live on the phone. Cable cutter ? Nope. Time Warner Internet remains the only decent service provider in this area for broadband speed. Frontier remains a joke of a company. TV service for now is with TW also, but a return to DirecTV later this year has not been ruled out.

Christian
    Participant

Never bought cable. I have Netflix, Youtube, ATSC, and a large DVD collection. No landline. I do have a home phone but it’s VOIP. No cell phone.

Racerbob
    Participant

Sadly, there are no good answers for me now that the question and answers are now visible here. We have TV and we haven’t considered cutting the cable, but “No, I love television” does not quite describe how I feel about it. I would not be happy trying to watch TV some other way. As an auto racing fan, many events and shows are on channels that are unavailable to me unless I do have cable, or satellite TV. Life is too short, why deprive myself of the ability to watch certain shows and events that I like to watch ? So a good answer for me is….

“No, In our home we like to watch certain channels that are only available via a cord”.

Annoyed
    Participant

I too like too many shows that are only available via cable. (Satellite is absurd around here with our winter weather, I’m not going to go out and clear the dish.)

As far as plain old fashioned telephone service goes, I prefer to hear the people I’m speaking to and prefer that they hear me clearly as well. That lets VOIP out, and cell phone service at my home is iffy at best. Often no bars at all.

So the telephone cord is safe as well.

Dan Warren
    Participant

I like to watch “live” TV. It can be live sports or up to date shows. We have Dish for our sat provider with 2 Hoppers and 3 Joey’s. We watch very little of the Major 4 networks in prime time. So with each Hopper we can record 3 sat channels and 1 ota channel at one time. And Annoyd, the weather almost never interferes with our reception here in Wayne County.
    Due a deal I got with TWC when I went to cancel the super basic package (still keep internet) they gave me a deal that added only $8/mo to what I was paying and I got a dvr and a cable box. I really only use it for MSG and maybe channel 26 for sports.

HotDawg
    Participant

The dishes filling up with snow aren’t a problem in the Rochester area. The satellites are low enough on the horizon that in 5 years I only had any accumulation once. And (altho I never tried it) they say stretching a garbage bag over the dish will eliminate that problem, should it be a problem.

My phone service is thru TW. Quality of calls is OK — but I guess I have to say that the good old POTS service was more dependable. I may just go back to that so all the telemarketers can get to my answering machine.

What’s on cable? Well, really not much that I can’t get OTA. Right now, the only advantage for cable to me is I do use the DVR. And, there could be options for that.

Dan Warren
    Participant

We have Vonage for the phone service, The box plugs into a telephone jack and we get service on every phone. Plus with nomorobo.com, it intercepts most of the spam calls

Christian
    Participant

Annoyed, there’s nothing inherently wrong with VOIP. Years ago I had a problematic VOIP service. However, the internet service at the time was also flaky, so I think VOIP needs a very reliable internet connection. My internet service for the past few years has been great. My current VOIP provider is Flowroute, which is a BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) service aimed at corporations, but their rates are cheap. I’m paying less than $6 / month, whereas with AT&T I was paying about $70 for unlimited long-distance. The quality is as good or better than a land-line. Certainly better and more reliable than a cell-phone.

HotDawg, my parents have DirectTV, and they have had to occasionally remove snow from the dish. Not usually, but in really bad storms it has affected the reception, especially for HD channels. BTW, why couldn’t they have called it High-Resolution instead of High-Definition? Why do companies always need to invent new terms or choose words that have no meaning? An AT&T rep told me they came up with the name U-Verse because customers wouldn’t know what “fiber-optic” meant, but “U-Verse” doesn’t mean anything.

Dan, is Nomorobo customizable? For example, if a number is being blocked that you want to let through, or alternatively, if a number keeps calling you and you want to stop it from ringing again, can it be done?

Ray
    Participant

Still have a land line. Just prefer to do so and keep our cells for people we want to have our number

Dropped down to very basic TWC cable a bit back and use Netflix and Hulu Plus for most everything else. Even now with the IPad can get the apps for History or AMC and watch over our wireless and even with a little plug for the IPad plug that into the HDMI part of TV and watch on that

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.