Forum: 19 Oct 13 – What would it take to make you upgrade to Windows 8?

Home Forums The Poll Discussion Forum: 19 Oct 13 – What would it take to make you upgrade to Windows 8?

This topic contains 18 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Racerbob 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

Keep it clean! And I’m SURE you’ll have something to say about the NSA, so really keep it clean!

Racerbob
    Participant

I do not need to be made to upgrade to Windows 8. (my laptop came with it) I just upgraded last night to Windows 8.1 as a matter of fact. I run Classic Shell 4.0 (check it out people… seriously, check it out) so that I have a **fully** functional start menu that has many, many configurable options and I am happier than happy. Did I mention that it is FREE ? Also upgraded my friends brand spanking new desktop computer last night…right out of the box…to Windows 8.1 and also added Classic Shell to that machine also.

http://classicshell.net/

http://www.neowin.net/news/interview-we-chat-with-the-creator-of-classic-shell-40

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

I’m sure I’ll try it someday but not as my primary operating system. Too many programs that I use on a regular basis are either not available for Windows 8 or very difficult to install. I like that my current operating system updates not just itself but all my installed programs. It also came with built-in support for common things like playing DVDs, creating MP3s, documents and spreadsheets, so I didn’t have to search the web for a piece of shareware that might have put adware or spyware on my computer. I like never having to install drivers when I buy a printer or scanner; just plug it in and it works. Regarding security, as much as it’s been improved for Windows 8, my operating system is still better, partially for the reason Nick hinted at.

Racerbob
    Participant

Ah…scre@ the NSA. They already know everything about everyone anyway. The daily monitoring of every aspect of our lives that goes on boggles my mind. It really no longer matters what operating system we run.

Annoyed
    Participant

I’ve got it on several machines, and I have upgraded 2 of them to 8.1

From a technical standpoint, it’s ok. Some things are better than W7, others worse. The biggest problem is the user interface, which is just plain boneheaded. Once learned, however, it’s not a problem.

The real challenge of this OS is reserved for people who do not learn this stuff easily. They’re going to continue to struggle with it, regardless of the changes in W 8.1

Racerbob
    Participant

But Annoyed, I have the best of both worlds. I refuse to leave the past behind and Classic Shell allows me to bypass the whole paneled desktop completely. If I wish to use an app, they are all conveniently listed in my start menu and they are one click away.

As a side note. LOL… Open up Internet Explorer 11 in 8.1 this morning and go to Google.com and perform a search. Google is “broken” this morning and it will be easy to see the problem. 🙂

WayneHen
    Participant

Loving Windows 8.1! Not sure why the poll didn’t ask about the new OS that’s been out two whole days now! Many of the issues that people had with 8.0 have been addressed – although I REALLY liked 8.0 I love 8.1!

Racerbob
    Participant

Yes WayneHen, I am really failing to see the big problem with Windows 8 or 8.1. This is one of those deals where a few dissenting voices has caused a vast number of folks to go negative on this operating system. The only thing that I do find fault with is Microsoft’s insistence to not provide us with a regular functional start menu.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ndal008bi40fyig/Screenshot%202013-10-19%2013.54.34.png

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by  Racerbob.
    Christian
    Christian
    Participant

The daily monitoring of every aspect of our lives that goes on boggles my mind. It really no longer matters what operating system we run.

Yes it does. It might make a very small difference overall. I’m not saying it’s worth anyone’s time to care, but it’s inaccurate to say there’s nothing you can do to increase your privacy.

I’m only talking about casual, mass-data collection. Obviously if the NSA is targeting you specifically that’s a whole other ballgame.

Racerbob
    Participant

Trust me, what the government knows about you and me and everyone else would blow your mind. We no longer live in an open society where we can protect our information.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2337420/Utah-Data-Center-The-million-square-foot-Utah-data-mining-facility-built-NSA.html

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

It doesn’t surprise me. I’ve been reading Mr. Schneier’s blog for a long time.

There’s no reason to believe that privacy is an all or nothing thing. How much you have is at least slightly dependent on the choices you make, e.g. having a cell phone, using social networks. Those things generate personal data that otherwise wouldn’t be available, to anyone.

The NSA can easily capture data sent over the internet. For stuff just sitting on your hard drive they’d have to actively crack your computer, but they’re only going to bother for high-value targets. They don’t have the resources to do that to everyone, and the odds of someone noticing would be too high. It would help them if your operating system contained a hidden back door. That’s easy if the operating system code is kept secret. It’s not possible if the code is public. You can increase your privacy on the internet by using tools such as PGP and Tor, but if you can’t trust the underlying operating system, those tools become worthless.

But who really needs privacy these days? As the saying goes, if you’ve got nothing to hide you’ve got nothing to fear. Though I’ll bet the same people who say that still close the door to the stall when they use the restroom.

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

Also, from the article. Look who they say is involved. Apple, Facebook, Microsoft, Google, Yahoo, YouTube, Skype, AOL, etc. The NSA doesn’t gather the information themselves. The companies do. That proves my point; how much data is collected on you is largely a function of the products and services you use. Choose carefully. This doesn’t work with free / open-source software since there’s no single person or company to coerce. Even if say, Mozilla added something malicious to Firefox, everyone would see it. Since the code is public, another group would take it, remove the offending code, then redistribute it as an improved version of Firefox. That’s the whole point of free software. The code is public, and anyone is free to change it.

gmd3006
    Participant

I agree 100% with Racerbob, “This is one of those deals where a few dissenting voices has caused a vast number of folks to go negative on this operating system.”

The tile screen is a fully functional Start menu. I actually use it now more than I ever used the prior versions’ Start menus. Just remove the default ad tiles, and drag the tiles you want to the left so they’re visible on startup. It’s different, but not all that hard, even on my desktop PC.

One important tile to know is the Desktop tile – tap that, and you’re back to the traditional Desktop. I don’t know why people would think they need an add-on program to do that…

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

The poll numbers seem to disagree, showing a majority strongly opposed to Windows 8 while only 15% of those who tried it giving an enthusiastic response. What does it matter though? If you buy a new computer, it’s going to come with Windows 8, so Windows 8 wins no matter what.

Racerbob
    Participant

Yes, the poll here has great bearing on the way the computer world ticks. LOL This wonderful place is up to 127 members now ? Either way, the only negative thing I can say about Windows 8 is that Microsoft should offer a choice of a regular fully functional start menu or the new paneled desktop.

Bottom line is that Windows 8.1 is ultra stable and great to use. I view it as a souped up Windows 7 myself. I still prefer the standard Windows desktop and this is what I see when I boot up. Classic Shell is the answer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.