Forum: 12 Oct 13 – Will you try to fix your Facebook privacy settings?

Home Forums The Poll Discussion Forum: 12 Oct 13 – Will you try to fix your Facebook privacy settings?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Christian 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

Assuming you can figure them out…

Racerbob
    Participant

This is something I do spend a fair amount of time on and yes, I will keep my Facebook privacy settings locked down just as tight as I can.

It really is very simple and people should remember that Google is their friend. They can have a helpful site open in one tab and their Facebook settings open in another and click back and forth until they get the settings as suggested….

http://gizmodo.com/how-to-lock-down-facebook-privacy-now-that-old-posts-ar-1431103763

http://blog.laptopmag.com/facebook-privacy-settings

etc….

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by  Racerbob.

RChandra
    Participant

For the foreseeable future, it’s kinda like that ole 7-Up commercial: never had it, never will.

No, what I care about is the new Google+ setting “shared endorsements”; I don’t want my name and picture plastered all over some product’s ad.

HotDawg
    Participant

Why bother? As quick as people set everything private, FB updates everything, and it all is public again until the suckers catch up.

I know of someone that created a FB account under a very strange, phony name, and set everything as private as it could be. Today you can google that name, and MyLife knows everything about the phony character.

And with the FB facial recognition, if anyone posts a picture of you where you are tagged — then all pictures of you are matched up. You don’t even need a FB account for that to happen.

Christian
    Participant

As confusing as Facebook’s privacy settings are, at least they’re not as bad as Google+.

Racerbob
    Participant

Facebook is my main communications tool. I will not abandon it because my friends list contains 66 names of people who I stay in close touch with. I hardly ever e mail anyone anymore. I cannot find my Facebook page on Google. I cannot be tagged in a post or a picture unless I approve being tagged, which is never. My Timeline is frequently purged of my posts. I also use the very excellent add on called SocialFixer that makes using Facebook a pleasant experience. I also have my select group of friends organized into three friends groups so that I can click on each group and see posts from certain people in my newsfeed.

I see no ads thanks to Adblock Plus and I have removed many categories from my newsfeed page with SocialFixer.

Facebook

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by  Racerbob.

Christian
    Participant

Good point about using 3rd-party apps to interact with Facebook. Can’t do that with Google+ because Google won’t allow it. Probably wouldn’t do any good anyway with them constantly changing the UI and abandoning services left and right. Remember Google Talk?

Racerbob
    Participant

SocialFixer is being forced to change a little by Facebook, but it still is very useful. It started out as Facebook Fixer before Matt Kruse (the man who develops this great ad on) was forced to change the name. LOL.

I strongly encourage anyone who uses Facebook to get SocialFixer. It is not available for Internet Explorer, so you will have to be using Firefox, Chrome, etc.

And there is a great support group Facebook site to help those who use SocialFixer.

http://socialfixer.com/

Christian
    Participant
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.