Firefox contaminated with Yahoo

Home Forums Windows Firefox contaminated with Yahoo

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  RChandra 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

HotDawg
    Participant

For years I have set my own idea of a favorite search engine in Firefox. I tend to like DuckDuckGo.

I find now, when I drop something into the address/search box, The search engine used is Yahoo. If I go into the options and change my default search engine to what I want, it works with that search until I bring Firefox up again — then it reverts back to “Search for Firefox”, which I guess is an alias for Yahoo.

I suppose I didn’t read some EULA completely and that is how Yahoo got inside the system. Any ideas on how to purge it? I have no real fault to find with Yahoo, except this should be my choice to make — not someone elses.

mycque
    Participant

You can change your search engine at anytime. Click on the magnifying glass.

HotDawg
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestion. But that would only hold until I restarted FF again.

I finally took the SecurityTango approach and ran a scan with both Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware. Those scans picked up a handful of PUPs, and a trojan or two. Also many tracking cookies.

After deleting that stuff, my problem went away.

RChandra
    Participant

That is Mozilla’s marketing/revenue agreement with (what is now) Oath, which was in effect after their agreement with Google expired. I’m not sure they intended the search engine selection to be not remembered.

Out of curiosity, are you using Classic Theme Restorer? I can’t stand Australis, especially the behavior of the search bar. CTR brings back the old search bar behavior of pressing Alt-downarrow then the uparrow and downarrow keys to change which search engine is in use (from the list), and keeps the selected search engine until changed again (even across FF invocations).

It’s too bad that in all likelihood, CTR will cease to function past this November when FF 57 will be released.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.