Firefox 21.0 Beta 4

Home Forums Software Firefox 21.0 Beta 4

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Racerbob 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Racerbob
    Participant

Spotted the latest beta build of Firefox today. Typically there are 6 betas of each version before the final build is released.

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Mozilla-Firefox-Beta/1032985422/4

• This topic was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by  Racerbob.
    Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

The Mozilla foundation has been doing a very good job of putting out timely upgrades. Of course, unless you want crashes and other problems, you don’t actually want to use a beta product!s

Racerbob
    Participant

I generally have been waiting for the release versions. Currently running 20.0.1. I remain a Firefox fan, but I do play with Chrome and a version of Chrome called Cool Novo. As I said a few times in the old forum page, if Chrome had a bookmark side panel like Firefox does, I would probably switch. I refer to my bookmarks often and the convenience of having them docked on the left side of my browser is what I want. There are others who want Chrome to introduce a bookmark panel, but so far the Google people are not inclined to giving us one. 🙁

Nick Francesco
    Nick Francesco
    Keymaster

You mean like this one:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/bookmarks-side-panel/ankkfflbgjokclfgfehiinnlijdlicdb?hl=en-US

Racerbob
    Participant

Yes, but I have tried that one and that one is the only one that is available. If you read the reviews on it you will see that it is not so good. The developer has not continued work on this either. The Mozilla panel is much better and is integrated right into the browser.

HotDawg
    Participant

I’m running 20.01 here also, and certainly have a good number of crashes.  Primarily when I watch the Buffalo RADAR.  This happens on several computers, running both Windows XP, Windows 7, and Linux.  Countless crash reports have been submitted, over several versions of Firefox.  When I view the same site using Chrome or IE there is no problem.

I keep hoping the next version will have this bug fixed!

Racerbob
    Participant

Is it Flash that is crashing ?

HotDawg
    Participant

Yes, I think it is tied into Flash.  The site is supposed to update about every 6 minutes — and there is a count-down counter in the lower right of the screen.  It should reset when it reaches zero, and sometimes it does, sometimes not.  When it doesn’t, there is a big increase in download activity on the network, and at times the number of TCP connections gets real absurd.  Here is a shortened link to what I run: http://moourl.com/BufRADAR.

Firefox may crash early on, or it may take awhile — but if you let it run, it will crash!  I have disabled most of the add-ons I have, and the Linux installation is running without any of those.  With that, I get a message about a script being busy or may have stopped responding.

HotDawg
    Participant

Update…

I did the “Reset Firefox to its default state” thing in Firefox, and at least the count-down counter seems to be behaving like it should.

Marc
    Participant

Racerbob,
    Have you tried Pinning the Bookmark Manager? It doesn’t give the full integration that Firefox gives you, but at least it’s a one mouse click access. or a Ctrl + “the number of the tab it’s pinned as” (1-8 only) keyboard access.

Racerbob
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestion Marc. That is somewhat workable, but still not what I and many others would prefer. I would be solidly in the Chrome camp I think with a better bookmark manager and a panel that could be kept open. Seems that this should be something that is easy for the Chrome developers to add. I like the ability in Firefox to drag and drop addresses out of the address bar to categorized directories that I have set up.

Side Panel

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by  Racerbob.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.