Enlarge D partition Win 7 so I can Image HD

Home Forums Windows Enlarge D partition Win 7 so I can Image HD

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  HotDawg 1 year, 12 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Fleetwood
    Participant

I get an insufficient space error when I try to image HD to Seagate external drive. ( plenty of room, Win 7 image tool )

I believe the problem is that D is 75% used. ( Bitdefender seems to do this. ) and I can’t re partition to increase size. Apparently it needs at least 50 meg of the 100 meg free.

I just want to image the HD as insurance before I upgrade to 10, but Microsoft isn’t making it easy.

Any help would be appreciated, computers are not my fist language.

HotDawg
    Participant

A couple of thoughts:

If your imaging tool requires a contiguous space for the image, running defrag on the D: drive might help. The command line version for defrag does have more options that might help in that respect.

Before you do the defrag, maybe remove things you don’t need off D: might help (backups of hiberfil.sys and swapfiles you won’t need). And, let Windows compress the drive.

Do a cleanup of files on the drive you are backing up.

But, do you really want to upgrade (if that is the right term) to 10?

Fleetwood
    Participant

Thanks HotDawg

I’m going to try your suggestions.
    This will tax my limited computer expertise, so I’m going to wait until a day when I have a great amount of patience.

I have no good answer to your last question other than keeping up with current technology. This is a home computer, and the only windows one I use.
    Does the community feel its better to hold off on 10 until sometime in the future?

HotDawg
    Participant

Not knowing just how big that external HD is, or how it is partitioned at this point — but, unless your D: drive is already taking up the entire space on the HD you might be able to move some stuff from D: to somewhere else on the HD.

The Disk Manager in 7 will sometimes let you extend the size of a volume. If you are not familiar with that, if you right-click on COMPUTER in the START menu, select MANAGE, then select STORAGE, and finally DISK MANAGEMENT, it will bring that up.

Or, if you have unallocated space you might be able to create a new partition there. Then, depending upon the size of the partitions (your D:, and the new E:) you might move stuff around so there is room for that image.

As far as Win 10 goes, I had it up on a couple computers here, and went back to the original OS. One is Win 7, which is my favorite, and the other Win 8.1. I found Win 10 to be complete spyware, and offered little additional over Win 7, and in some cases much less. YMMV — try it at see what it does for you.

Fleetwood
    Participant

I should have included the details.

The C drive I want to image has 120GB used, 811CB free.

The Seagate external drive I want to image to has 766 GB free space. (It has the Seagate dashboard and backed up files on it.)

The D drive has used 72MB of the 100 MB it contains.
    I think Bitdefender used this space even though I now use Avast.
    Disc Management would not let increase the size of D.

I always seem to get in a mess when I try to move/delete files, partition etc. I’m not that good mucking around in these places. If there was a simple program that would let me increase D, I might try it. I can’t be the only one in this situation.

Your last paragraph was the most helpful.
    I’m going to slap some extra RAM ( 12 GB ) into this puppy and keep running Win 7. It seems to be working well now.

Again, Thank you for taking the time to help me.
    Fleetwood

HotDawg
    Participant

Still a little lost here. The Seagate drive contains the D: partition, right? If it is only 100 MB, then what is the the rest of the Seagate drive? Again, the disk manager will show you the layout of that drive — and allow you to assign a drive letter where it may be missing.

As a side note, I generally use the disk manager program to assign drive letters that are meaningful to me. As an example, my optical drive is always X: — that remains fixed regardless of how many other partitions come and go. I create a separate partition for my swap file, and that is always S:.

Fleetwood
    Participant

Hi HotDawg

I should have been clearer.

The computer HD is partitioned into C and D. Windows did this, not me. I believe Windows creates D ( called System Reserved ) to keep system restore files etc. separate from C.
    The D partition is 100 MB, and I have used 72MB. I think, that I can’t image the drive because more than 50% of D is used.

The Seagate external USB backup drive is 931GB , not partitioned, and has 766 GB free. Way more space than I need for an image.

Hope this makes it clearer.

This simple undertaking has morphed into too complicated a task for me.
    I am sticking with Win 7 and have ordered more Ram from Crucial.

Many Thanks for your time and expertise!

Fleetwood

HotDawg
    Participant

Now I understand! That system disk at D: I think I would not play with it, except to archive it somewhere should you need to replace the HD.

Sounds like the Seagate drive is where you should be parking any backups. I’m surprised it isn’t partitioned — but many of those drives now are coming with their own backup software (that may, or may not do what you want).

Regardless of whether you stick with the present Windows or upgrade, you probably would want to backup your C: somewhere. It’s a known fact that hard drives do fail — just not when 🙁 .

A good, complete backup takes time. But, besides the possibility of a HD failure, there are other good reasons to have a copy of what you work with. Another thread here presently is about a computer infested with bed bugs!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.