Emergency !! Help !!

Home Forums Hardware Emergency !! Help !!

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  RChandra 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Rev 2
    Participant

I brought bedbugs into my bedroom in a piece of equipment from the appropriately named Flea Market. The bug man wants to bake the room at 160 degrees fahrenheit for several hours.

I have a Dell minitower (probably the least-mini computer you can buy) and a laptop in there. Will they be (appropriately named) toast? I have two backup discs hooked up to it. What are the chances that one of the three hard drives will survive?

There is no web connection and there will never be one.
    What should I do? I have to have this done by Sunday 9/27.

HotDawg
    Participant

Maybe I’m missing something here! Why not simply move this equipment out of the room?

I think hard drives generally probably should be kept at a lower temperature, and not sure what would be the most sensitive part of a computer as far as high temperatures. But, you are talking of 160 degrees, (which is a little over 70 C). Why take chances?

All of this equipment should be able to be easily disconnected, and wouldn’t take up that much room to store somewhere else for a few hours. If you were talking of a 50 gallon aquarium, that might be a different story.

Rev 2
    Participant

Because when bed bugs hit you, they get into everything. They got into the equipment that I bought. They get into everything.

So when you take anything out of the room that’s being treated, you’re rescuing bed bugs from their fate, to go and bite again. and to multiply, which they do at a spectacular rate.

Or maybe not. You can’t know.

The stuff has to stay in.

HotDawg
    Participant

I had not thought of the contamination to the computer stuff. You might run the problem by your bug man and see if he has any other suggestions. Maybe sealing the equipment in a garbage bag and fumigating that other than just trying to fry the critters. He must run into other situations where things are heat sensitive.

I guess if there is no other options, I would want to make a backup of the hard drives before you cook them. A network connected backup drive (where you wouldn’t have to physically take the new drive into that room) could be used. We know that a virus can move over a network cable, but I doubt bed bugs can.

Christian
    Christian
    Participant

Sorry about your plight, Rev 2. You might be okay if the computer is turned off because many parts have a much higher non-operating temperature range. This article quotes a range for hard drives up to 70C. You probably want to back up to an external drive anyway, but every time you go in, aren’t you risking becoming an escape vehicle for the bed bugs yourself?

Rev 2
    Participant

Dig this: I have to sleep there because if I don’t, the bugs will go out and look for me and the whole house gets infected. I sleep there, they stay there. Getting eaten up every night.

I have a routine that pretty much keeps me from picking bugs up and carrying them out. They stay put in their hiding places during the daytime, so that helps. Getting up to pee in the middle of the night would be a problem. Maybe I should retrieve a jug from the recycling bin.

The company’s routine for fixing this is pretty elaborate. The bugs can go through anything that isn’t water-tight, and they like to. They are magnificently evolved for what they do.

This is a nightmare. Please don’t ever let it happen to you.

RChandra
    Participant

Virtually every tech product has environmental engineering specs, and Dell was usually pretty good about that. I know for example my Precision 360 was engineered to operate up to ambient 35 degrees. There are also storage temps I’m sure, but that’s the one which stood out in memory. The spec you gave is 71 deg, so that’s a bit much. We can’t say for sure without such engineering specs, but I thought they were generally up to 60 degrees.

Yes, and in case you couldn’t tell, the scientific world generally uses SI units, of which engineering is one disipline. A tip from me about learning SI: you hamstring yourself by worrying what a particular measurement is in some other non-SI units. Obviously you have to do this though while interfacing with non-SI people, like your exterminator who probably doesn’t know the C temp to kill bedbugs, only F.

I offer as a potential solution, which you can consult with your exterminator, of freezing the little critters (in your computer) to death. Especially non-operating, computers deal with cold a lot better than they’ll ever deal with heat. Again, you’ll have to delve into the engineering specs, because there is a lower temp bound too, but that’s typically -20 to -40 (heh…”-40″ happens to be where both the C and F scales agree).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.